gcextreme

new here need help on purchase

Hey guys my name is glenn. I am a web developer and graphic designer. Im looking for a simpler vinly plotter cutter at least 28" or 31-34" for making my own custom decals and selling a few online in some forums...

I have Adobe CS5 that has photoshop and illustrator and more.

I have been designing stuff and having my local shop make them...but i want to do it from my own home now...cut out the middleman.

Im looking at a few Signwarehouse vinyl express cutter series and some us cutters series on ebay...

Im not sure which to get...help me.

What is your budget? Cutters range from a few hundred to a few thousand. Check out this Buying Guides for the USCutter models.

Read and learn the differences between cutters and buy the best you can afford . There are tons of info on this forum and the net a little research will help you avoid buyers remorse . Good luck

Dan

By the way welcome to the forum

I was within minutes of buying the $2500 deal from SW back in 2007 .. the Q60 something with clipart supplys etc . I have been very happy ever since . A buddy of mine had just bought that deal & had MAJOR buyers remorse when he seen how small I could cut .

stay away from the r series from sw - the q and qe are graphtecs and will cut anything you want.

post-2742-0-84500600-1363065248_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ok cool thanks...for some reason my post did a double post..so i have two of the same threads...

• Like 1

I have a small budget of like $500 for a cutter.

Dont need anything too fancy..just want to cut some custom decals and graphics and make a little extra money.

well you need to figure in materials also.  application tape,(different sizes). vinyl.(many colors), weeding supplies, scissors, exacto knife,  table, good lighting, maybe boxes for shipping/protection, Is that all in the $500 budget?

No $500 for the cutter...not supplies...thats separate...i have alot of the suplies...scissors and hobby knives, tables, and shipping stuff....i get tons of free boxes and shipping stuff...and i live 3 blocks from the post office....

And sorry for the double threads...im on my phone and dont know why it did 2 threads...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mz SKEETER" data-cid="302436" data-time="1363102132"><p>

well you need to figure in materials also. application tape,(different sizes). vinyl.(many colors), weeding supplies, scissors, exacto knife, table, good lighting, maybe boxes for shipping/protection, Is that all in the $500 budget?</p></blockquote>

That $500.00 will go fast just buying supplies . Even $1000.00 on a value cutter plus some supplies would be a little tight . You need at a minimum of 4 colors red ,white ,black and blue even 651 is about 90 bucks a roll .

Thanks for the input...

Right now im just concerned about getting a decent cutter to meet my needs....i will buy some materials to practice on and get use to.... and while im doing that.. i will save up more money for more materials.....im working a fulltime job 60hrs a week and a part time job 15hrs a week, plus my wife has a full time job with about 38-40hrs a week...so we both are going to put some money back for materials....

plus she is a teacher and can make some stuff for her little kids...

i dont expect this hobby to make enuff money to live off of, so no need to stock tons of vinyl rolls..

Thanks for the input...

Right now im just concerned about getting a decent cutter to meet my needs....i will buy some materials to practice on and get use to.... and while im doing that.. i will save up more money for more materials.....im working a fulltime job 60hrs a week and a part time job 15hrs a week, plus my wife has a full time job with about 38-40hrs a week...so we both are going to put some money back for materials....

plus she is a teacher and can make some stuff for her little kids...

i dont expect this hobby to make enuff money to live off of, so no need to stock tons of vinyl rolls..

You can get by with 10 yard rolls in just the basic colors . I would suggest oracal 651 at a minium unless you plan on doing wall art and you use 631 for that .

How do i go about ordering a keyspan(?)when i place my order??

Just add it to your cart.  Then pay for everything..

skip the keyspan and put a serial card from newegg in your desktop or get an older desktop with a serial port as a dedicated cutting computer like many of us have.  no worries about a virus taking down the cutting computer if not connected to anything else so no surprises

Ok cool..yeah i have many older computers with windows xp etc .that i can set up...

Im expandinf my budget a bit on my cutter...looking at getting the 31" laserpoint 2....and thoughts on that?

Will it also do the heat vinyl for doing shirts...i eventually want to do shirts too..

Just bought the Laserpoint 2 31" to give my LP1 24" a break and it cuts well after proper setup and adjustment. If you are going to be cutting fine detail or really small letters consider saving for a Graphtec or Roland. Also LP2 is slow  even on highest setting but ! just did 2 shirts for a hunt club 10 minutes ago and it does heat transfer fine. Whichever machine you choose consider a Cleancuts 60' blade. The quality of your cuts is well worth the price of the blade.

Jay

• Like 1

Thanks jay.

Im torn between the 34" SC and the 31" Laserpoint 2....

Not sure which to get.....i like the idea of countor cutting with the laserpoint 2....

A graphtec and roland are out of my price range....my first budget was $500...but the wife and i decided we can pull another $400-500 out of our savings...

that is weird - I just toke it from their auction and when you try to bring it up - it comes back up as one of the alternatives.

I have a line on a ve-lxi60 new in the open box , that I haven't drove 2 hrs to get yet . . . .that one does not have the optical eye but would ship for about 850 - a little more than you are looking for

Id like to get something new with a warranty and a reciept for tax purposes....

Im thinking i will just go with the SC.....

For the little bit i may use it..i can have it paid off in 3-5 months...

Im on alot of forums and have been selling alot of stuff and just had my bud who has a shop 2hrs away cut them for me....i want to cut stuff myself and get rid of the middleman.

When they say the stepper motors are noisy....like how nosiy? 1-10 and 1 being quiet and 10 being superloud.