Sign in to follow this  
makemygraphic

BN-20 ran out of ink! It's Sunday! Please help me find answers!

Ok so I'm a small business located in San Diego, CA but I am at a fair that takes place 2 hrs from my home and it ends late Sunday aaaand I made a slight misscalculation and ran out of black ink just now -__- woops....  sooo my BN-20 is beeping at me... I was wondering if anyone knows if I am in major trouble since it wont stop beeping and because since I ran out of ink (I only brought extra yellow and cyan with me, but no black and the black is what ran out)   my bad :\  sooo since it is Sunday tomorrow places do not open until Monday *urgh!* and I wont be back in town (where my supplier has ink) until mid-day Monday soo... is there a way for me to keep my machine from going bad since I wont be able to replace the ink until Monday? Or am I screwed?   >__< I feel like an idiot for not forseeing this! I had a full cartridge when I left and I just thought it would last me.  Please help me find answers!   :( and the trip back home takes about two hours and I don't think I will be able to put new ink in it until late Monday urgh!  Soo sorry that this was my first post! I just need help

if you have some solvent cleaner you could pinch the put line and fille the capping station with cleaner then shut the machine down. this wil save the head but other than that there is still ink in the lines and you should be alright.

I have a bn20 and we had to ship it back for some repairs my Roland tech told me as long as the head is in the capping station it will be right for a few days without the inks in it.

I am with Jason on put some clenaing solution in the black cap after pinching the line to keep the solvent their - as far as the few days without ink goes - i can tell you from when I had the fj-540 it would start to clog in a day if I turned off the main power - I was a newbie and had to go thru the learning process, didn't want it to clean the heads all the time and waste ink but after a $850 head I learned

Honestly, I have no specific advice regarding your issue here (the others who have chimed in seem to know their stuff, however)

I did want to express an observation regarding this entire subject of "head cleaning & clogging" ----

As printers and their proprietary inks keep evolving, one thing that stands out to me as a potential buyer of a new machine is the development of technology that permits the printer to sit unused for long periods without fear of print heads drying out or clogging, and no need to "clean" them when restarting (i.e. - no wasting ink just to get the thing back up and running)

Honestly, I have no specific advice regarding your issue here (the others who have chimed in seem to know their stuff, however)

I did want to express an observation regarding this entire subject of "head cleaning & clogging" ----

As printers and their proprietary inks keep evolving, one thing that stands out to me as a potential buyer of a new machine is the development of technology that permits the printer to sit unused for long periods without fear of print heads drying out or clogging, and no need to "clean" them when restarting (i.e. - no wasting ink just to get the thing back up and running)

The latex are better than solvent from what i have read on that reguard, they are however much more finicky on what they print on and use a tremendous amount of power compared to the solvents.  I think the problem is creating an ink that can stand up to the elements and car washes - water based is a tough way to go on that one and that would be the cheaper ink.

Thanks guys!  I actually had gotten a hold of a Roland tech as well and he gave me peace of mind :)  he told me I would be OK just leaving it bleeping at me for an entire day and then for my trip back home (which was nearly 6 hours before I was able to plug it back in with new ink)  I was sooo worried but then I turned it on and it print without a hitch :) buut I gotta admit... it scared the bageezus out of me,  now I will always make sure to bring all colors with me on ANY trip lol  :) thanks guys! I appreciate your help!

how long does a 220ml cartridge last you? why would you need to bring a set if you are only out for a day? i run 220's for about 3 weeks or longer and 440's for even longer

jason, she put her big girl panties on and posted at si****01 also  - a little more info there  "My Lesson: If you leave for more than 10 days to some remote location that doesn't even have a supply store within 30 minutes then YES bring extra carts, and just because you have a full cart doesn't mean it will last you 10 days with a tiny machine."
Gotta give her props for being thick skinned!  wasn't that long ago the "club" would have taken a 20" machine as a drop of blood in the water over there!  fish2.gif shark.gif