ericsch333

Mat size and location..

I loaded the vinyl imported my design set the origin on cutter. SCALP mat size is 12 by 12 my question is after I cut I had 8" of vinyl in front of my design I cut directly from SCALP I did a preview and it was in the top left. What did I do wrong. Sorry is this is a dumb question but I watch 4 video and read a bunch of threads and I cant find an answer. I was going to try importing to sign blazer but I don't want to waste anymore vinyl.  

In the cut window , make sure the CUT MODE setting is " origin " instead of WYSIWYG .

• Like 1

Thanks so much I really appreciate the help and thank for taking the time to answer the question I wish all forums we this helpful...  :rolleyes:  

That what i did wrong just checked 

You are welcome . This forum is great , with very few exceptions . Ken Imes set & kept the standard years ago  ( was the face of USC on the phones & this forum until He & USC went seperate ways ) BannerJohn aka John ( non USC emplyee ) has kept it that way ever since he was put in control of this forum :thumbsup: . There are 2 faced , backstabbing members around & some snarky rude members but like I said John keeps them reigned in :lol:. To me , this forum is like the bar in " Cheers " :)

• Like 1

can you explain the difference between the settings Origin and WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)?

I just recently got a cutter (MH 871) and by playing around I've found that my image needs to be in the bottom of my mat (rather than the top like the OP did).

In a nutshell,  WYSIWYG would cut using the coordinates & the location on the mat as you designed it --  in other words, it will cut at the precise position as it appears on the grid.

The "origin" designation will always start cutting in the lower right corner of the vinyl, regardless of the position you placed the object(s) on your mat/grid/workspace.

Very rarely would WYSIWYG (WhizzyWig) be applicable as a rule.

In a nutshell,  WYSIWYG would cut using the coordinates & the location on the mat as you designed it --  in other words, it will cut at the precise position as it appears on the grid.

The "origin" designation will always start cutting in the lower right corner of the vinyl, regardless of the position you placed the object(s) on your mat/grid/workspace.

Very rarely would WYSIWYG (WhizzyWig) be applicable as a rule.

Is there a way to use "origin" and get the cuts to be made horizontally insteaad of reeling off vinly? I can't get it to do that. Every time I want to cut three or four images, it would be nice to cut across the width of the roll instead of of one image three or four deep.

Is there a way to use "origin" and get the cuts to be made horizontally insteaad of reeling off vinly? I can't get it to do that. Every time I want to cut three or four images, it would be nice to cut across the width of the roll instead of of one image three or four deep.

If you line them up vertically on the screen "mat" they will cut in a narrow strip and feed vinyl with lots of waste.

If you line them up horizontally they will cut side by side and use your vinyl more effectively.

Assuming you use the "origin" not the "WYSIWYG" cutting method.

If you line them up vertically on the screen "mat" they will cut in a narrow strip and feed vinyl with lots of waste.

If you line them up horizontally they will cut side by side and use your vinyl more effectively.

Assuming you use the "origin" not the "WYSIWYG" cutting method.

I've tried all different combinations, none work. It has a mind of its own, it seems.

I have played around with it a bit and come to the conclusion that I actually like the WYSIWYG method. I size my cutting mat appropriately to match my vinyl or the amount of vinyl I want to use and place my svg files on so that they are starting in the lower right corner. If I want to cut text and it fits horizontally I rotate it until its looking proper and make sure the edges are within the cutting mat cut zone and cut. I align my cutter on the spot that I want to call zero which corresponds with the lower right corner of the cutting mat on the screen and haven't had any problems. I usually allow for some extra off the top of the mat from what the actual vinyl so the rollers don't run off the vinyl (2"-3") Have had pretty good luck now that I'm used to it. If you need to re-cut a certain element on a particular design you can shrink down the cutting mat to just cover the letter or spot you need and thats all the machine will cut. Works just fine. I have a 48" machine and am always moving my vinyl around to utilize various sets of grit rollers depending on the vinyl width so I just make sure I get it loaded and reset the zero on the cutter and let the WYSIWYG work for me.

I used to use SignCut Pro and have made the switch since early January and after forcing myself to get used to the "feel" and quirks of SCALP I am doing good. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy when they get a few more bugs worked out but the worst of it is past. SignCut has plenty of quirks too that I had to get used to when I started with it.

• Like 1

I got up this morning with some time to mess around and decided to play with SCALP. I experimented with the WYSIWYG vs Origin thing a littl more than I ever have before using some butcher paper and a pen. I see Slice and Dice and Mars' point about using Origin over WYSIWG. I think they have converted me. Amen Brothaaaa! I was getting pretty much the same result but with a lot more layout effort and worry. Also that miniscule amount of space between your design and the edge of the cutting mat that I am always a little dubious to use for fear of getting too close and having the cutter skip because it was slightly outside the cutting area is no longer an issue. Time saver basically.