Emsboy654

Cutting reflective material with the "MH" series

Hi everyone, I just got my US Cutter MH 871 in the mail yesterday and I'm interested in doing reflective material. I was wondering if anyone who has the MH 871 has cut reflective material and what speed and pressure I would use. Thanks!

• Like 1

There is no set speed or pressure for any cutter, for any vinyl. as they are all different. You must first set your blade correctly, then do test cuts, and see.  You should do that with any vinyl before cutting.  Or you will waste a lot of vinyl

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

someone that owns that cutter would have to answer..  I don't own one.

Check with USCUTTER tech support.  Tech support rarely comes here.

Okay, would it be alright to cut reflective material with the MH 871?

There are different grades of reflective vinyl. You can cut the regular reflectives, you will not be able to cut the hi-intensity reflective, it is way too thick.

When cutting reflective, you will just need to have more blade sticking out, more pressure, and slower speeds than with regular sign vinyl.

Like Skeeter said, you will have to experiment with the settings. You might want to buy a small quantity of reflective vinyl (by the foot) on eBay for experimenting on, before purchasing it by the roll since reflective is so much more expensive then regular sign vinyl.

• Like 1

It would also be wise to get extra blades.  They will dull fast with reflective vinyl.

60˚ blades are recommended, but I have used 45˚ and they seem to work fine for me.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mb20music" data-cid="301717" data-time="1362585988"><p>

60˚ blades are recommended, but I have used 45˚ and they seem to work fine for me.</p></blockquote>

Sounds good. Do you have the MH 871?

I used to have a couple of refine cutters (MH series) and they cut the material fine but like skeeter said I have an extra holder for my reflective blade as you will not be doing fine cuts after cutting reflective.  most has a foil or small glass beads that dull a blade quickly.  personally I use cleancut blades and after a year of cutting the old blade goes into the reflective holder - you will not be cutting fine detail in relective anyways.