PointOfExpression

Eco Solvent printer advise!

Alright, so I am now looking into getting an eco solvent printer so we can make full color decals now instead of layering vinyl for the effect. We have found a decently priced printer (Vinpower Venetian Eco Solvent Color Ink-jet printer)

Has anyone heard of this thing? I am new to all of this stuff. About what it the cost per square foot to do it this way (print on this printer then contour cut on our printer)

Do I need special vinyl or will ecosolvent ink go on vinyl such as green star for instance?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Do they offer any profiles for color correction?  Strange they don't mention printing to vinyl.  off brand inks in larger printers often cause head clogs and failures (more so if not run every day) - if a head goes on this is it replaceable

Yeah, I saw that but it say sit has a continuous feed that can be used for vinyl. Again I am new to this so if you have any different options for me to go after, I am all ears. I need something under 1000. Looking to make full colordecals. Must be able to print up to 18-20" wide by at least 40 in long (would love to not have a length restriction.

Do they offer any profiles for color correction?  Strange they don't mention printing to vinyl.  off brand inks in larger printers often cause head clogs and failures (more so if not run every day) - if a head goes on this is it replaceable

http://www.vinpowerdigital.com/en-us/main/product.aspx?CategoryID=82&Keyword=Venetian_Eco_Solvent_Printer

Shows it under media type.

But again, I am new to the digital world and would love opinions on where to start.

I got nothing in a real printer - your price point is just not realistic for the right equipment.  you will find some that print on special vinyl with a pigment printer then laminate everything - not the best but works for some.  price per sq ft though the people with the real eco sol printers will blow you out of the water.  Too many people get into the eco sol thinking it is like a desktop -  then have their heart broken when faced with a 850 print head. $1000-2000 board failure, tech fees that run several hundred without parts.  I see quite a few printers for sale with problems they can't fix so they pawn it off on the next clueless person.  thermo printers cost more to print and repair is next to impossible without a tech.  it is all a gamble.  Like I said in another thread I have replaced 2 $850 heads in less than a year (same head) for no reason- no strikes - not sitting - oem ink, like they say if you are gonna play you are gonna pay.   My first printer was a roland fj540 - with colorchoice rip - what a pain - it got much better when I finally went with a versacamm.  The price you are looking at is just what you need to keep on hand for normal parts replacement.

There is a roland on ebay right now - not a versacamm - in the carolinas. Last check it wa 1800 - both heads are showing deflection - looks like it has been running on aftermarket inks and I hope they have it plugged in so it can clean it's heads while it is being sold - Remember with a eco sol - if something goes wrong you need to fix it right away so the heads and lines don't dry - even a day without power can be bad - Beware of anyone selling one that hasn't been plugged in and kept the cleaning going - you can plan on all new heads, cap tops, and possibley lines and dampers.   read read read - 

If there was a $1-$2000 solution that worked trust me there would be hundreds sold

• Like 1

Yeah, our first plan was to purchase a printer/cutter in one which we would have paid the money for but after seeing how the maintence is on them, we wanted to look into the cheaper way but I am starting to see it really only works for shirts and stuff rather than actual decal correct?

there are those that use pigment with specialty vinyl and laminated for decals - I have a friend in florida that says his has lasted fine - there is no way I am going to market those to the public though.  it is like painting your car with house paint - wrong stuff wrong application

check this one out - says your can get a replacement head and install yourself - I thought they were no nonger available but was corrected by someone that had one - they are avaialbe - when you ship it back to Roland to put it in LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-PC-60-Wide-Format-Printer-Print-Banners-Stickers-Posters-/271163939831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22a15bf7

On top of how much more the thermo cost to use

check this one out - says your can get a replacement head and install yourself - I thought they were no nonger available but was corrected by someone that had one - they are avaialbe - when you ship it back to Roland to put it in LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-PC-60-Wide-Format-Printer-Print-Banners-Stickers-Posters-/271163939831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22a15bf7

On top of how much more the thermo cost to use

this printer cost to print in dollars per foot not cents. the print tapes are not cheap

• Like 1

very true Jason, but many just look at the cost to get the printer - not the cost afterwards.  it is way more expensive to use this or specialty inkjet vinyls.  to many find out about the maint cost or repair price after they have a printer that they got a good deal on that needs tlc.  I just try to share my experience.  I also think it would be hard for someone to pay for a printer with some offering printing at or below cost, At least the cost if you are using quality material and ink.