Sign in to follow this  
wmlepage

Looking to get into a vinyl cutter. Which one?

Hello, I am a Mac user, OsX 10.7.5 on a 2011 iMac. I am into hobby airbrushing, my wife is a hack scrapbooker, and I am interested in a vinyl cutter. I am thinking someone in the low end. Not sure how much it will get used . I was looking at the MH series cutters and the Cameo. Both can be had for about the same price. I know in my airbrushing a larger 24"+ cutter is a good idea. And that the larger cutters can cut just about any size up to their max cut. I am mostly worried about compatibility issues. I have seen where some on here are running a similar Mac set up wit no issues. I understand the MH needs an adapter from USB to serial.

I guess what I really need to know is which one will give me less headaches to set up and operate.

Thanks.

according to UScutter website,  under MH series cutters, It says the MH series cannot be ran on a MAC....Just a heads up on that.

Less headaches on a mac is going to come with the Graphtecs and I'm assuming Rolands. My new Graphtec was literally plug and play on my macbook and works flawlessly every time. If you don't have that kind of cash laying around you can look into a Creation PCut for 1/3rd of the price... There were lots of limitations and a little bit of finessing to get it going, but it definitely worked on a mac and served me very well for almost two years.

Less headaches on a mac is going to come with the Graphtecs and I'm assuming Rolands. My new Graphtec was literally plug and play on my macbook and works flawlessly every time. If you don't have that kind of cash laying around you can look into a Creation PCut for 1/3rd of the price... There were lots of limitations and a little bit of finessing to get it going, but it definitely worked on a mac and served me very well for almost two years.

Ok thanks I will look into the PCut. Tech support also suggested the SC cutter, with the laser eye, as a good Mac starter.

Don't pay extra for that laser eye unless you are wanting to contour cut decals you print. If you eventually want to get into that then by all means look into one with an eye. But save yourself some money, or get a better cutter without an eye if you don't need it.

I am just thinking of my wife being able to use it for scrap booking , that way it's a multi use machine, not just for me.

Just remember the value cutters with the eye are manual contour cutting - there is nothing wrong with that  but you have to manually set it at the registration marks.

just helping to make an informed decision

Just remember the value cutters with the eye are manual contour cutting - there is nothing wrong with that  but you have to manually set it at the registration marks.

just helping to make an informed decision

Hanks, wasn't sure what they meant by manual contour cut. I may just end up with a silhouette cameo, size and cost and compatibility are all there.

on the higher end cutters they will actually find and scan in the registration marks you print - on the manual you have to move it to the registation marks and enter the positions yourself