noreaster3

How much pressure do you cut with?

I have a SC series cutter.  I run mine slow.  I run the speed at 100 and my pressure at 30g.  I seem to do lots of small things so it makes me feel better running the slow speed.  Not sure if it matters but I feel better  :-)

you guys don't have difficulty weeding at those pressure settings? i have a tc series and i usually run my speed anywhere from 100-500 and pressure from 70-100g... it seems if i use any less pressure weeding becomes a bit more difficult (i use oracal 651)

I don't have any issue weeding at 30 no.  Originally I had the pressure higher and just started lowering it to see how low I could go.  I had it at 25 but on occasion I would hit a spot here and there that was a tad tricky so I upped it to 30 and no issues for me.

Do all of these machine read the same scale for speed and pressure. On my Laserpoint 1 I run pressure at 95 and speed between 50 and 60. Any higher speed and cut accuracy suffers on my machine. 

Jay

I find every cutter is a little different so my answer would be just enough pressure to get it done and slow enough to get a clean cut.  even the same model cuters have been known to have differences in settings, especially the value cutters as tolerances aren't real tight on those when made

I have the MH721 and I am also new but my settings seem to be working for me.. Speed is 50 and pressure is 100 -110 for GT5 Vinyl.. HTH

Hey Guys, Thank you for all the great advice... I have it up and running great now.. Just took some time of playing around with it to get it right :)   Just a small learning curve but got the hang of it now.. Thank you all again I appreciate your suggestions..

Like Dakota said all cutters are a little different go by your cutters manual as a starting point then adjust speed for cut quality . Your pressure can be adjusted from your test cuts and test cuts should be made every time you change vinyl .

Dan

my cut pressure is between 100-120 for oracal 651 vinyl and my speed really just depends on what im cutting.

if im cutting something larger then i might run it at 100 or higher but i just did a bunch of very small text decals and cut them all at 20.

4 hours ago, Bridgewater Embrdoiery said:

I have an SC. I set my speed to 700 and cut at 60g. I haven't had any issues using a 45 degree knife. 

WOW you run it that fast w/o issues.. Ive got my SC2 at  100 speed and about 92 force. im new but seems okay. im wondering for me if there any settings inside the VM i should change.

3 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

WOW you run it that fast w/o issues.. Ive got my SC2 at  100 speed and about 92 force. im new but seems okay. im wondering for me if there any settings inside the VM i should change.

I have an original LP and buzz at 60, 40 for the smaller stuff. 

What kind of settings do you think you need to change in VM?

12 hours ago, haumana said:

I have an original LP and buzz at 60, 40 for the smaller stuff. 

What kind of settings do you think you need to change in VM?

Im not sure, just the boxes you can check and the numbers the Blade offset default its on 0.20 and the overcut is 2.00 blade type:drag knife 45degree advanced after plot.... i really not sure what any of that is im using the red blade that came with the machine.

The blade offset is to account for the fact that the point of the blade is not actually in the center of the holder. To test if an adjustment is needed cut a a simple square, look closely at the corners and compare them to the image below.

Capture.JPG.24ac0bc67dff380a52b75bf8b9f94c18.JPG

Overcut is how far past the start top point the blade will travel when completing a cut. The value cutters will not always complete a cut, the overcut setting compensates for this by traveling the specified distance extra to ensure that the start and stop points meet or overlap.

Untitled.png.104b2d3b7e30d9a88e47145c1f91139f.png

Advance after plot is a nice option, it simply advances the vinyl out so that you can easily cut it off. Not sure about the SC, but I know the MH when it does this, the origin does not change. So unless you reset the origin the cutter will back up the vinyl, and since you've cut it off, the vinyl will fall out of the machine and the blade will cut into the cutting strip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

The blade offset is to account for the fact that the point of the blade is not actually in the center of the holder. To test if an adjustment is needed cut a a simple square, look closely at the corners and compare them to the image below.

Capture.JPG.24ac0bc67dff380a52b75bf8b9f94c18.JPG

Overcut is how far past the start top point the blade will travel when completing a cut. The value cutters will not always complete a cut, the overcut setting compensates for this by traveling the specified distance extra to ensure that the start and stop points meet or overlap.

Untitled.png.104b2d3b7e30d9a88e47145c1f91139f.png

Advance after plot is a nice option, it simply advances the vinyl out so that you can easily cut it off. Not sure about the SC, but I know the MH when it does this, the origin does not change. So unless you reset the origin the cutter will back up the vinyl, and since you've cut it off, the vinyl will fall out of the machine and the blade will cut into the cutting strip.

Thank you for the examples