mojo_13

Cutting too large

I am having a problem with SCALP, I have been designing in Illustrator then opening in SCALP. The image is, let's say. 6x6 in illustrator. When I import it into SCALP it also says that the image is 6x6, but when it cuts it cuts the image over by about 1/4". I know that this must be a setting but not sure which one I need to change to fix this issue. I would assume that the program takes into account the offset correct? So that would not be it I don't think.  

I'm sure there is a setting that I am missing and need to change. Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. 

Ok thanks for the reply, I did a search I must not have searched the right words. How would I calibrate the cutter? Also the cutter is suppose to be in the rear blade holder position on the MH correct?

After you advised me to calibrate and I did some looking it looks like I need to calibrate in SCALP. I cannot find a calibrate function in the program. I will keep searching though. 

I just ran into this same problem tonight when trying to cut a paint mask for a friend.  I saved the image at 52mm x 11.4mm in Inkscape but SCALP is cutting it not quite 1/8" larger in both directions.

Any ideas on how to get a work around?  I ended up cutting multiple passes and downsizing the image in SCALP until it ended up the correct size.

Yup I know where to calibrate in SignBlazer.  I"m trying to learn and stick with SCALP....I really am.

-Scott

I just ran into this same problem tonight when trying to cut a paint mask for a friend.  I saved the image at 52mm x 11.4mm in Inkscape but SCALP is cutting it not quite 1/8" larger in both directions.

Any ideas on how to get a work around?  I ended up cutting multiple passes and downsizing the image in SCALP until it ended up the correct size.

Yup I know where to calibrate in SignBlazer.  I"m trying to learn and stick with SCALP....I really am.

-Scott

That is about how big it is cutting bigger for me also, so it must be something in SCALP. If you happen to figure it out let me know, I'll do the same if I find something out. 

Yes please let us know.  I never got a reply back from the last e-mail I sent to Craft Edge asking about my wrong serial number.  That is I can not get the newest version with the serial number on my disc because they say it is an incorrect serial number and they end up having to send me a new number to download updates.

-Scott

I tried to get ahold of craft edge twice with no reply. I just put in a ticket with USCutter, hopefully they will have an answer or be able to contact Craft Edge and get one for us. I will post back what USCutter says. 

I have also sent a note to Craft Edge about cutting to large and my serial number issue.  But have not heard from them either.

Hey guys - you need to open up the settings dialog in your cutting window - there is a place for setting the x and y resolution and also selecting the units the setting uses.

I haven't tried it with my Copam since I don't have a way to hook it up yet.  But in your example 6" cutting 6.25" you can try setting the numbers for both x and y to  to 1.042 - if it makes it worse try using .96.  You get this by dividing one size cut by size desired for the first and size desired by size cut for the second.

Excellent!  I did not know of that feature and will give it a college try this afternoon!

-Scott

p.s. there is no leading "0" in the serial number on the SCALP disc I bought.

Hey guys - you need to open up the settings dialog in your cutting window - there is a place for setting the x and y resolution and also selecting the units the setting uses.

I haven't tried it with my Copam since I don't have a way to hook it up yet.  But in your example 6" cutting 6.25" you can try setting the numbers for both x and y to  to 1.042 - if it makes it worse try using .96.  You get this by dividing one size cut by size desired for the first and size desired by size cut for the second.

Thanks for that, I tried to find the settings dialog box but couldn't find anything like that that I could change and x and y. I know this is a newbie thing but could you tell me how to get to it? Thanks

Are you using a cutter from USCutter?

When i open the cutting dralog there is a box showing my cutter (Copam)

Next to that is a button labeled Settings - click on this button and you will see the resolution x and y fields and some settings for registration marks.

Thanks for that, I tried to find the settings dialog box but couldn't find anything like that that I could change and x and y. I know this is a newbie thing but could you tell me how to get to it? Thanks
  • Like 1

Are you using a cutter from USCutter?

When i open the cutting dralog there is a box showing my cutter (Copam)

Next to that is a button labeled Settings - click on this button and you will see the resolution x and y fields and some settings for registration marks.

I am using a MH721, I guess my question is where is the cutter dialog box? In SCALP or in my "devices and printers" on my computer. I have clicked on about anything I can looking for a settings part and have found nothing. I know that when I find this I'm going to feel dumb. 

I am using a MH721, I guess my question is where is the cutter dialog box? In SCALP or in my "devices and printers" on my computer. I have clicked on about anything I can looking for a settings part and have found nothing. I know that when I find this I'm going to feel dumb. 

Yes, in SCAL3PRO.

You click on  Cutter then on "Cut with USCutter".

The box that opens is what I call the "Cutter dialog box" It is labeled "USCutter Cut  Settings"

Right next to your cutter name is the "Settings" button.

Just a matter of tinkering with the settings and doing test cuts until you get the cut to match the design size.

Yes, in SCAL3PRO.

You click on  Cutter then on "Cut with USCutter".

The box that opens is what I call the "Cutter dialog box" It is labeled "USCutter Cut  Settings"

Right next to your cutter name is the "Settings" button.

Just a matter of tinkering with the settings and doing test cuts until you get the cut to match the design size.

That is where I thought you meant, when I go to that I don't have a settings button, at least I don't see one. Here is a link to a screenshot of what I am seeing. USCutter did get back to me but said they were passing the information onto their supervisors. 

Screenshot of Dialog Box

That is where I thought you meant, when I go to that I don't have a settings button, at least I don't see one. Here is a link to a screenshot of what I am seeing. USCutter did get back to me but said they were passing the information onto their supervisors. 

Screenshot of Dialog Box

Are you placing something on your cutter mat first, like an  object of some kind?  Throw a star on the mat.   Your not going to get a settings button until you do. I used the SCALP 3,  NOT PRO and can do it.

You can also go to the HELP at the Top, CLICK help.  It gives you the menu. and Settings. Properties.

Are you placing something on your cutter mat first, like an  object of some kind?  Throw a star on the mat.   Your not going to get a settings button until you do. I used the SCALP 3,  NOT PRO and can do it.

You can also go to the HELP at the Top, CLICK help.  It gives you the menu. and Settings. Properties.

Thanks Skeeter that was the problem, wow I feel stupid. I will have to mess with that and see what I can get figured out. I also did try the help section and it was of zero help. Didn't have much in and the search function didn't work. I appreciate everyones help. I will post back when I get it figured out for sure. Thanks again everyone. 

Screenshot of Dialog Box

What version of SCAL3PRO do you have?  Might try updating if it isn't 3.048

You're missing the Settings button.  I changed my cutter selected to MH and the button is still there.

Hope you get an answer from Craftedge or USCutter.

Let us know what they come up with.

It's the smaller number.  Divide the size you want by the size you're actually getting.  If you want 6 inches and you're getting 6.25, use 0.96.

Charlie

yes i know this is a old post but im going to post mt info anyway just in case someone stumbles on this at some point like i did lol.......

i have scalps 3 and 4 and i was curious on this and never thought about it being an issue. so i made a sqaure in scalps ,cut it and measured it and it was dead on. I then made a square in Ai  exported  it as a outline for scalps and did the same thing and it was dead on. Not sure what your settings are on. In order to check your settings you need to have a design or anything on the art board to open the settings tab in scalps...... here is a screen shot of my settings and it cuts perfect dead on

post-88251-0-05180700-1435340034_thumb.j