Sign in to follow this  
Friedrich07

Cutting Aluminum Signs

Alright I did my best to search and I did not find anything on this. I had a job request for 3 aluminum signs, I have never done these before so I really dont know what a good price is for the sign blanks. I found a company in Indiana that will cut them and ship them for right around $45 that includes shipping and vinyl coating on one of them because my customer wants a cream color. The sizes are 9" x 12" 15" x 30" and 18" x 18" with no holes.

So couple questions...

Is there a pretty cheap way to set up for cutting aluminum signs yourself? and is it worth the hassle.

How difficult is vinyl coating a sign with rounded edges?

Does anyone know of any companies that do custom cut signs any cheaper than that?

Thanks for all the help!

Thin gauge aluminum can easily be cut with a circular saw or jig saw if you want to cut them yourself. 

No clue what the vinyl coating is? Maybe plastidip? 

You can probably get a local metal shop to cut you a few blanks real cheap. It would only take a few minuites for them to run them through the sheer. Your also keeping the money local in small business. WIN WIN.

I think they are literally just going to use sign vinyl and apply it to the aluminum, this is my guess? They are charging me $13 more for it though which is kinda insane to me. I would experiment with it myself I am mostly just concerned about getting a clean application around the round corners of the sign. I would assume just use a heat gun to stretch the vinyl around the corner and rub out any crinkles or bubbles. I am going to have to look around for a local metal shop.

vinyl isn't wrapped arount the corners of signs - just apply the backing vinyl with a big squeegee and make sure you clean the metal before application - then clean again - use iso alcohol for final cleaning

• Like 1