Sign in to follow this  
FutureSgtsWife

Beach towels.... heat applied vinyl

So I was asked to make a dozen beach towels for a destination wedding -- and cut the image to heat apply.  The towels are cotton - but terry cotton - so not a smooth surface.  The way one of the letters hits the "thread" is pissing me off.  Is there a different heat applied vinyl (a specialty one) that I should be using?  Maybe the one for mesh or something - that will hold to the threads better?

Guest fivestar

I've only did a few towels but I've always used just regular multicut and they turned out great and they was terry cotton also.  Make sure you are getting good pressure on the vinyl itself as the towels have thick edges and may be keeping the press from actually touching the vinyl good.

ok thanks... I think I did cut them actually out of the multicut -- so I'll do my next one and see.  I think maybe that one little letter fell at a funny angle on the towel.  Maybe if I press the towel down first to get the terry flattened. 

Guest fivestar

Yes I always prepress whatever I am doing to get any moisture wrinkles and such out before I press the vinyl to it.  Post pics, we want to see your work. ;)

Here's one of the towels.... the top starfish does have the extra white line in the middle - the pic makes it look like it's missing...

of=50,332,442

Now I need to find a heat applied vinyl close to the "beachglass green" in this monogram for our aisle runner.... I've tried every green and just ordered teal, but I know that's not going to work.  Any suggestions??

of=50,442,442

Guest fivestar

Towel looks very nice as for the beachglass green heat applied vinyl, I'm not sure if I've ever seen that color before.  I will look around and see if I can find someone that has something close for you.  BTW, when and where is the wedding, we all want to crash it.  ;)

Also what is the name of the font you used for Cancun, I know I've got it, but can't remember the name.

The Cancun font is Tinker Toy.... I tend to use it a lot.

The font for the monogram is Scriptina. 

The wedding is in sunny Cancun (obviously) on 8-8-08.  An entire week filled with private functions ("welcome dinner", rehearsal dinner, formal reception, private brunch the day before we leave Cancun.... followed by a 400-guest At Home Reception in September.  Lots of partying this summer!! 

Guest fivestar

hhmmm....I can't seem to find that TinkerToy font, do you mind posting it? 

Thanks

Guest fivestar

Also 8-8-08 my grandson turns 1 yr old.  ;)

Yep - I'm an ass.... the font I used in that sample is Jester.... (thanks Lisa).... I used Tinker Toy in the final product.  They're very similar -- but Tinker Toy is more straight -- Jester is more funky.

Guest fivestar

That's the tinker toy I have........mind posting Jester?  lol