Sign in to follow this  
rex

new pc

i was looking at new computers today, and realised everyone i saw didnt have any serial port connections, plenty of  usb ports,,,,i have my mh871 connected via serial connection,,,and no problems with it so far, but if i get a new pc, it looks like i will have to use usb, which i`m not really looking forward to because when i hook it up to my laptop, it wont even do anything,,or am i missing something

2 options - first is to add a serial port card to the desktop - newegg sells them - second option is to buy a business class HP - they still come with serial ports

• Like 1

Serial ports, like parallel ports, are nearly extinct on new PCs.  I've been looking for a low budget desktop CNC machine and almost everyone on the market requires an actual, physical parallel port *and* the parallel ports on most laptops aren't the right kind, so you pretty much need an old desktop PC to run them.  I'm not sure why manufacturers haven't caught up with where current technology is, I'm sure by the time they get around to adding USB, then all the computers will have moved on to something new and different...

As dakotagrafx mentioned, you can always add a serial or parallel port to a desktop PC and there are several USB <> Serial adapters that will allow you to continue using your serial connection - just make sure you get a good one (Keyspan seems to be a local favorite) - or upgrade to a Graphtec and you can get by with just a USB connection... but I imagine a serial adapter will be much cheaper...  ;D

the heck with a keyspan - get a real serial card  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531%20600022027&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI%20Express%20to%20Serial%20Port%20Card

with a laptop the keyspan is the only option but it is still a ub to serial device - with the card it is a true serial device

the heck with a keyspan - get a real serial card  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531%20600022027&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI%20Express%20to%20Serial%20Port%20Card

with a laptop the keyspan is the only option but it is still a ub to serial device - with the card it is a true serial device

I agree 100%.