Sign in to follow this  
Pcrat

ok ok ok serial and usb question..

ive been reading all over here , 

if ya dont have a serial port use a serial to usb,,

Ive tried just the serial cable, Windows xp, flexisign 8, 

the cutter hates its, just goes all wild, but if i connect the USB it works great. all that aside tho 

mine is connected direct USB, no adapter just usb port on cutter, to usb port on computer. Why do people say to get a usb serial adapter, if just a normal usb cable works fine? or is the cutter ment for a serial Connection?

sorry been reading alot trying to get my head around it, need some clarification hehe,

Thanks Guys.

I believe it's for a cutter with serial connection only. 

actually many people have much better luck with a serial connection  - like the original poster I have used usb 90 percent of the time without a problem.  now and then I use a serial connection when I have trouble on a very long cut . . . . .  p-cut, mh, copam I used usb all the time.

I belive from what I have read it is due to the instability of the value cutters with low memory . I run my pcut on serial and my omega om60 on lpt now that cutter is a new star om60 but both have worked well on those connections . I have read some members with graphtecs have run only usb with never a single problem.

ok, yea weird. when i try the serial ( on vista or xp ) usually with longer time cuts, it will then start to do a stair stepping cut and keep going untill it reaches the far left side of the cutter and would stay there if i let it, and maybe burn the motor out... I thought maybe a ground, but did it after i hooked up the ground wire. but on usb it never had an issue, except on vista, so i keep the cutter on xp, and my other computers on vista. 

im not even gonna bother with windows 8. i hate it. 

I've been using a 30' USB cable straight into my laptops USB port with my ZenCut Black for the last year without any problems.  Tried the serial cable route initially and the cutter went nuts trying to stair cut as soon as I powered it on.  XP operating system.