mattie77

Cutting logos with a copyright

What do you guys do when asked to cut a logo that has a copyright? 

For example: Fox Racing, Chevy bowtie, Alpinestars, John Deere, Ford. 

All of these logo have a copyright. with the copyright, one can not use the logo for commercial use to profit from it. 

I have gone to some Motorsport shows, and some other big shows and have seen vinyl shops with these logos for sale. Is there somewhere, where you can obtain a license to use such logos? Do shops just cut and not think of the copyright? I'm only asking because I have been asked to cut some logos that I knew had the copyright and have turned business away. 

Thanks for any answers.

Matt 

Matt, what I do and what I would suggest are the same thing. When asked I ALWAYS inform them that I can not do them because of copyright issues and if they would like anything custom I would be happy to help them with that. I have lost a lot of sales due to my policy but I am always nice and try to explain it and I quickly tell them that yes, there are many people who do it anyway but I don't because its illeagle and its just not right. I bet I have gained as much business as I have lost because of this. Some will move on and others will go out of their way to work with you because they find out and feel you are honest.

Just my .02

• Like 3

I thought someone else would bring this up . It has been called " the thread that won't die "  . There is a lengthy thread about a 95 cent Dewalt decal causing a gal named Laura a lawyer retainer & undisclosed setlement . Anybody even thinking about making copyrighted stuff for others ( profit or not , I don't think the law differs between that ) , should read that thread ( I can't remember the thread's name ) . 

That is not the only thing in this business that is copyrighted either.  Your ads and promotional material that you have done yourself are copyrighted,  Titles for ads. etc.  I just had 33 ads today removed from a selling website, for stealing my ad content and titles..  Nothing like "almost" looking at my own ads and being undercut... they find they are messing with the wrong person..I take them down like the "thieves" they are.   And I always make screen shots of everything, before I get them pulled. You have to stay on your toes in this business.!!!  Or you will find your entire business on somebody else's website.

• Like 3

atta gal Skeeter !!! :)

• Like 1

Soooooo...does anyone know how to purchase a license for selling copyrighted material?  I've written and emailed several to get permission, but have NEVER got a reply back (from any of them).

Yep , been typed many times already . Besides doing what you did , you could call & find out what each company's policy is . Some are free , some are cost prohibitive .

• Like 1

atta gal Skeeter !!! :)

I searched their user names and  found more different stores.  I reported 5 more, same idiot...I hope they come down tomorrow. 

Me also !!! I don't understand how people can sell/give away their integrity . Nobody can steal or take that away  ... a person has to do that themselves . I guess those type of people have no pride in themselves . SAD ...

Tell me about it. I have been on the receiving end of this. I recently had my entire website database lifted (titles, descriptions, images...etc) and put up in on a website out of India...not much I can do about it either.

You have to stay on your toes in this business.!!!  Or you will find your entire business on somebody else's website.

Tell me about it. I have been on the receiving end of this. I recently had my entire website database lifted (titles, descriptions, images...etc) and put up in on a website out of India...not much I can do about it either.

I feel for you..  And all these people on here, who post up their website links in their profiles, signatures, might want to think twice about it.. I have people all the time on here, ask to see my stores. I NEVER give that info out. Nor do I post up my files. They don't want to see my store,, to buy from me.  They want to see what I am selling, that keeps me in business...

• Like 1

would you steal a car? would you steal a purse? then don't download movies.. 

ooops sorry i ment don't cut copyrighted material  B)

i don't even know if its legal to cut them for yourself?

• Like 1

When I use to make Model Railroad decals back in the day wow I make myself sound sooo old anyway I wrote Coca-Cola about producing water slide decals for the hobby and they gave me written permission for free. Then again I basically only drink their products.

would you steal a car? would you steal a purse? then don't download movies.. 

ooops sorry i ment don't cut copyrighted material  B)

i don't even know if its legal to cut them for yourself?

I am fairly sure it reads something like " reproduce or make " copyrighted stuff . Anything that makes you think of the copyrighted stuff is included . That is determined by the presiding Judge .