SurberSigns

i get bubbles when laying work down

when i go to lay vinyl down onto the side of a truck or van, i use soapy water and i make sure i squeege it pretty well. i take a heat gun to help get the water from behind the transfer tape but when i peal the tape off, i still see minor bubbles and markings in the lettering.

is this the squeege? not letting it dry long enough or what? its hard to explain but im sure its happened to everybody. id like to get some type of solutions.

I think a lot of it is techinque - I have never used a heat gun to remove the application fluid - a good squeegee is a must starting in the middle and working it out is the only way to not get bubbles . you application fluid should only have a drop or two of soap (like no more tears shampoo) and some rubbing alcohol in it.  when the technique is right the application fluid becomes almost not needed for most applications.  The heat gun if used is more for conforming to compund curves.  the fluid actually gives you more time to get the bubbles worked out so using both you are working agaiants yourself

The vinyl makes a big difference also and if you are doing cars and trucks it should be a premium cast film the intermediate will work but not last as long and is harder to lay without flaws unless you are very good at it . Rapid tac is very god for placing /moving decals rapid tac 2 for intermediate vinyl and cold rapid tac for cast . Also make sure your surface is cleaned very well .

• Like 1

I have used several types of medium tack transfer tape & each takes a different knack to keep bubbles away . Pulling the transfer tape parallel to the surface helps me . I have a buddy who always sprays the paper transfer tape with fluid , then lets it soak before taking it off .

I would think the heat gun is loosening the vinyl which will let it lift. After you squeegee well enough spray top of transfer paper and let sit for a moment then peel off gently. Sometimes when pulling transfer off the vinyl is not completely adhered and will lift in those places causing bubbles.

Yeah I use one drop of dish soap then add water. Whwn I try to peel the transfer tape the letters seem to come up. Ill try and spray the outside of the transfer tape

You can try using some previously used transfer tape . If the tape has strong tack , it pulls much more than others . I have experienced a good difference in " medium " tack from different manufactures . The stuff I bought locally does not have much tack at all . If I squeegee a roll in a decal , it is easy to undo . Harder to get the decal off of the backing paper , but VERY easy to pull off when installing . I resuse some transfer tap that had too much tack for my tastes ( especially as it got older ) & it works better the 2nd time .

use a little pure talcum powder and lightly dust top of vinyl before appling mask and with a little practice..

this will solve your bubbles the mask is streaching the vinyl and causing air bubbles..

Yeah I use one drop of dish soap then add water. Whwn I try to peel the transfer tape the letters seem to come up. Ill try and spray the outside of the transfer tape

Are you using paper tape or clear plastic tape?  The first time I tried to do a wet install, I used plastic tape and it wanted to bring up every letter with it - it took over an hour of peeling back a little bit, letting it air dry, peeling back a little more and so on before I finally got it fully released.

Learn from my mistakes - Always use paper tape when doing wet installs!

Also, when you remove the backing layer, flip your decal face down and peel the backing away from the decal, rather than peeling the decal away from the paper - that can lead to less stretching, and thus less bubbles in the final application.

• Like 1

i use oracal intermediate vinyl. with paper transfer tape..

the plastic squeege i use leaves small shreds after i squeege it pretty hard... i wonder if i need to try a different one?

i use oracal intermediate vinyl. with paper transfer tape..

the plastic squeege i use leaves small shreds after i squeege it pretty hard... i wonder if i need to try a different one?

SHREDS really are you sure that isn't a cutco squeegee

its just a regular plastic squeege. a 4 inch. and the sides start to arc after using it for a while... they start to nemd inwards.