Sign in to follow this  
WadeLogan

SC Series, Wrong Carriage?

I received my SC Series 53" cutter today and was very excited about the reviews and videos I had seen for the product. However upon piecing it together everything about the carriage is wrong.

1. Turning on the machine slammed the carriage into the right side, upon review my girlfriend pointed out the arm couldn't reach the stop switch to prevent it. Temporarily we placed a key ring on the arm to extend it enough to reach the switch.

2. The blade was placed perfectly as demonstrated into the bladeholder, however the blade never touches the vinyl, it hovers about a centimenter over it. 

--Edit -- (That is with the blade holder ring placed on top of the arm instead of inside of it. If placed inside where it belongs it's smashed into the vinyl and pushes the carriage off the track before it even moves. )

3. The pinch rollers, though placed exactly where mentioned in the brief instruction kit always get slammed by the carriage throwing it off the track and potentially ruining my project (even though the vinyl doesn't even get touched)

It's all lead me to believe the 53" SC Series cutter I received has the wrong carriage perhaps? Or am I just really missing something with this particular product? It was just my luck having this happen on a Friday night when I can't call until Monday morning. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wade

Welcome...are you sure the carriage is firmly down in the track?  Sometimes they come out in shipment.  The white wheels should be down in the track.  And you should be able to move the carriage head right and left smoothly. when not cutting.

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/253/0/05-sc-series-carriage-off-track-repair-guide

• Like 1

Thanks, yes the wheels fit in the track, the moment the carriage comes in contact with a pinch roller or you place the blade holder correctly into the arm it pushes itself out, automatically. I would like to add that the wheels pop out of the track with extreme ease.

although it sounds like you are making sure  the bottom rollers are on the track - it sure sounds like the top spring loaded roller is not - that would cause this all to happen

• Like 1

Although i'm certain we checked this, we spent many hours trying to work and may overlooked the top roller, what is the best way to check it? I will be heading to my shop within the next hour to start back grinding on it and figuring it out.

Although i'm certain we checked this, we spent many hours trying to work and may overlooked the top roller, what is the best way to check it? I will be heading to my shop within the next hour to start back grinding on it and figuring it out.

look at the repair guide above, I sent you,,  it shows you, what to look for, and how to  fix it.  It covers the MH and the SC cutters.

sometimes when we get frusterated we overlook the simple solution - with the top roller off the track the carriage will tilt forward making it go over the switch in the back, tilt into the pressure rollers, and make the blade holder to low - it will also make the carriage come off the bottom rollers very  easy as the top spring roller is not holding it in place with tension.  somehow I think you found the tension LOL

Thanks a bunch fellas, had to take a lot more apart than predicted but the spring mounted roller was the issue. After about an hour of work or so she cut perfectly on the first try. Appreciate your guys help and getting me back to work. 

• Like 3