Krookz

Greenstar vs Oracle vinyl

Hey guys. Id like to get your inputs on the two brands offered here, both calendared.  I have personally used both and like subtle differences between them. Im about to order some rolls to get my stock up and im stuck between the brands. 

Greenstar -  Thicker, decent to weed(glue sometimes holds pieces together), two stickers out of 20 some came off in the ice. $5 cheaper for 10 yards. Works great for etching(Thickness, stickiness). Already have two big rolls of white/matte black... Seems to stretch/flex better. Can easily get 12x5 yard off color pieces.

Oracle(651) - Thinner, easier to weed. Didnt come off in the ice. $5 more, Sucks for etching, only have small pieces left <3 yards. Cant get it in less than 10 yards from this site

The ice thing may have been the way it was installed, but if im selling this stuff id rather not have to replace a logo because it peeled off from some ice. Any inputs from more experienced persons? I cant tell, but it one tackier than the other?

Oracal 751 is a Cast film. It is way better than Grenstar. Oracal 651 is the calendared equivalent to the Greenstar. I would still prefer the Oracal.

• Like 1

Oracal 751 is a Cast film. It is way better than Grenstar. Oracal 651 is the calendared equivalent to the Greenstar. I would still prefer the Oracal.

Sorry I meant 651... fat fingers

Hands down Oracal, I stay away from most house brands.  usually they pick the supplier for profit not quality.  Companies like Oracal and 3m must maintain their quality to remain the industry leaders

Greenstar vs. Oracal 751 is definitely an apples to oranges comparison, as they are different types of products.  Oracal 651 vs. Greenstar is a better comparison, but I think  you'll find that most people here still prefer Oracal over Greenstar, if for no other reason than to be able to tell their customers they are using a name brand product.  I've used a lot of Greenstar, but I'm transitioning to using Oracal instead as there is a greater selection of colors.

When buying white vinyl, don't buy the Greenstar!  It comes on a white liner and it gives you eye-strain trying to weed it, layer it, etc.  I wish I had known that before I ordered a 24" x 50 yard roll.  Oracal uses a light blue liner for their white vinyl and it's definitely worth the extra few pennies per square foot for that convenience.

There is an application fluid, RapidTac II, specifically made for installing decals in cold weather (down to 20° F).  Without using it, or a similar cold weather fluid, you shouldn't install vinyl below around 45-50° F.  If properly applied, Oracal 651 should stay adhered down to as low as -40°.

Oracal 751 requires a similar minimum temperature for installation but will withstand temps as low as -58° F after installation.

It was -7° here in Iowa this morning - definitely not doing any outdoor installations today!

Edited by OWJones

wait until you get used to 651 and then buy a roll of 751! Youll be amazed how nice 751 is. I wish it wasnt so much more expensive or Id use it for everything. It weeds like a dream, it lays like a dream. Its amazing. 

Coaster36,  think of how little it adds to each project though and it seem cheaper!  That is why I never understand saving a very few dollars on a full roll of house brand  - each project is just pennies more for the good stuff and no headaches now or down the road

I know it only adds pennys to the job but I cant use 751 for small one off decals. Big if im lettering a car then Ill use 751 for sure. The stuff just weeds so nice. 

Any of the cast films are much easier then the intermediate to weed and apply . I have never used any of the house brands so I can't speak for them .