Greetings everyone,

I have a home business making securment straps from webbing for truckers to secure their loads with. I am getting ready to expand that to include making "Wide Load" signs for them.

These signs are very simple, they are an  aluminum panel that I cover with professional grade reflective vinyl and then I will be cutting the lettering out in regular black vinyl to attach to the reflective. 

My question is this:

1. I will not be doing fancy graphics or printing of any kind, just simply cutting out block letters, so which machine would any of you recommend? We will be making about 5 to 8 signs a week is all. I sent an email to US Cutters and the guy that responded had no clue, he suggested I contact this forum, this did not instill a lot of confidence in US Cutters.

2. I also asked for a list of all the items I would need to get set up, and get started, i.e. supplies, tools, table covers, ext , he did not even address this issue, i guess they don't want to make a sale or something. Can anyone here help with this?

Before I started my securment business i did a lot of research, as I am doing here. US Cutters came highly recommend. Was I misled?

Anyway, any help would be most appreciative

Thank you God bless,

Miss Frida

6:19 Industries

MB900361474.jpgWe have this hope as an 

anchor for the soul, 
firm and secure.
 Hebrews 6:19

well, that's probably because for something that simple where you won't be needing to change the graphics, you should screen print them instead, or pay someone else to cut the vinyl and not invest the $, because you lack the prerequisite graphic arts knowledge to do the screen printing yourself or dive into the vinyl cutting biz, although it's not too difficult.  It is kind of hard for me to judge the learning curve, since I have degrees in both graphic arts and industrial technology, so to me it was simple, but the laymen may have a fairly tough time getting started or troubleshooting problems.

that being said, go for the cheapest available, so just in case you don't like it, or can't figure it out, you're not too highly invested.  For what you describe, you don't need an expensive workhorse that will cut ultra fine detail 8 hours a day 5 days a week.  Then, if you decide that you do want to continue the venture, you can upgrade to a better machine, and still have the cheap one for a backup.  (always a good idea, I have two myself) 

To get started, you should just need the cutter, the cutting software that comes with the cutter (you won't need a graphics program since you're just working with simple lettering), a couple of exacto blades, a LARGE work table (I like postal sorting tables), possibly a light table, a decent computer, application tape, 1" masking tape, 2" masking tape, possibly application fluid, (depending on your application skills), application squeegies, black vinyl, since your graphics are going to probably be pretty large, I would suggest a large application tape dispenser, but they are pretty expensive, so I suggest you just make one like I did, I just looked at pictures and came up with my own system, let's see, what else........um spray bottles for appication fluid, paper towels, pencil, tape measure, yard stick, drywall square or t-squre, at least a 36" straight edge, a place to put all this stuff, skills, luck, and patience.

btw, I would gladly provide the vinyl lettering for you venture if you want to sub it out instead, maybe you could do a few with lettering from someone else, then once you get the hang of putting it on, you could move up to purchasing your own cutter, and it won't be such daunting, stressful undertaking to learn it all at once?

Just about any cutter will do the large block letters you asked about.  when you do the wide load signs make sure to use a 3m engineering grade reflective for those - they do make a black reflective also.
  On the cutters just as a point of interest the cheaper ones are harder to get to track straight for 7 ft like you will be doing.  the copam was the first one that I had that really did a decent job, but if I was going to start now I would look for a good used graphtec or roand - I had an old Graphtec fc-4100 that I would put against any cutter for accuracy - weighed a ton but was incredibly accurate and they can be found for under $500- $600.

you will also probably want a helper to lay down that reflective over that distance - a 3m product with air release and a "big squeegee" is a huge help