sanantoniodetail

unacceptable refurbished unit

this is just unreal. i got my cutter today, here are the issues:

it was packed loose in the box. they used foam ends(kind where you activate the foam and it expands to fit the shape of the item) but it was rather loose in the box. 
the power cord side of the case was BROKEN at the screw. the case is only held on by one screw in the front the back screw is completely broken off. 
refurbished unit is suppose to come with a vinyl cutter dust cover. they forgot to pack it in the box. lastly, the unit is scuffed up here and there, and the viny cutter strip is scored bad like some one had the blade to deep and did not have vinyl under the cutter.

i expected a few scratches on the case, some smudges, and all that but i didnt expect the unit to be in such poor condition for only 60$ less then the brand new unit .  when i call , i expect the conversation to go alot like this "the unit is in used condition and reflects that, you should have bought the brand new unit" 
the scores in the cutting area i feel will effect the cutting ability, they are so deep and so rough... i feel that if the cutter ties to cut in this area it wont have a solid back to it and will not cut properly. what do you guys think about all this?

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03099.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03092.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03094.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03095.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03096.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03098.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03100.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03101.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03102.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03103.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/acagama1/DSC03104.jpg

i'd like to add the cuts in the light blue plastic are VERY DEEP. in the last photo you can see that the cutter went between the blue plastic and the black metal and carved out a gouge valley between the 2. 

I don't belive I would even have bothered for that small amount of money . I have bought from eBay with a description of factory refurbished like new with some scuffs but usaly 50% of new price or at least a decent discount . Sometimes when we cheap out we pay the price .

Dan

This SC unit indeed needs a new cutting strip, and I don't believe your conversation will go as you desribed ---- I'm confdent USCUTTER will make good on that, and provide one to you after you explain the bad condition (and if need be, email them your close-up image links).

Hopefully they'll even send you the missing dust cover also.

The broken screw mount on the end cap may have happened in transit, perhaps the piece is rattling around in the box?

If you find it, just epoxy cement it back into place. Not a huge deal, even with one screw holding the end cap on, it will be OK and operate without problems.

How's the machine working, by the way? I would pull off that cutting strip, turn it around 180* and reattach it, in the meantime, until the new one arrives. That way, a fresh clean portion of the strip is under the blade.

yup - use a peice of reflective so any time you go thru it dulls your blade!

I would only consider that if it was to get thru a weekend until I could get a new strip 

there is no way you would do that with your graphtec!

P.S. that cutting strip shows he was sold a used unit - a refurbished unit would be "refurbished" with a new cutting strip

refurbish [riːˈfɜːbɪʃ]

vb
(tr) to make neat, clean, or complete, as by renovating, re-equipping, or restoring

I have refurbished several cutters and they always get a new cutting strip

yup - use a peice of reflective so any time you go thru it dulls your blade!

I would only consider that if it was to get thru a weekend until I could get a new strip 

there is no way you would do that with your graphtec!

I was going on Rodgers reference for a quick fix, to get you by...

I have had my cutter, going on 5 years and have never needed a cutting strip. I know how to run my machine..  LOL ;D

That looks like it was dropped in transit.And dropped hard enough for the carriage to do the damage to the strip. In 10 years I have never seen that type of damage from cutting. I would call USC Monday for sure.

• Like 1

I know you do Carolyn!  I have to admit making a mistake or two on setting depth - had to replace one on the printer recently - it is much much easier than a graphtec!

for a refub unit they should send him a new cutting strip if it was shipped that way though

john - while I can see your point the drop would have to have a sustained force to keep the blade down and cut a substantial length of the strip - there is no doubt that shipping damage in the broken plastic.  usually fed exis better than that - with USP it is a 50/50 shot it will make it in one piece from shipping several cutters - even if well packaged

For me it's always been FedEx that brought damages packages to me. I've actually had (more than once) the box come apart when I lifted it.

60$ less for a refurbished unit with same warranty i couldnt say no. its basically like getting a stand for free, i did get a stand, everything was 309$ shipped. refurbished is suppose to be "like new" cosmetically i get refurbished cellphones all the time threw t-mobile because i have insurance on my phone, if any thing happens to it i call it in they send a referb one. never do they look used. 

the machine seems to be working perfectly fine, i am about to hook it up to my computer and use the pen attachment, i have not done a test cut yet i just got home from work. how do i flip the cutting strip over? it seems to be tapped in place with very sticky clear adhesive tape. 

im pretty sure that the unit was neglected. the blade depth way to deep and the customer who owned this before me broke it by making these cuts. thats how bad the cuts are on the cutting strip and metal plate. they are SO SO bad.... so deep, prob a good mm or 2. some one really messed up , i bet they broke the machine by making these cuts into the cutting strip and metal. . i hope they make right and dont charge me to send the cutter back. i dont think i could ever manage making this mistake myself either... im telling you guys, these cuts are DEEP

as far as the broken end cap on the power supply side. the parts are all there just broken. i have absolutely no issue with using epoxy to fix the piece. it does suck but its not worth sending the unit back. 

so... i know i am about to do a search on how to flip over the cutting strip but if any one has a quick link that would be much appreciated just in case i cant find it on here , on how to flip the cutting strip over. 

BTW
my name is Jessica Hewitt, i run www.sanantoniodetail.com and it is a pleasure to meet all of you :)I was going on Rodgers reference for a quick fix, to get you by...

You are not going to 'flip' (turn over) the cutting strip --  just peel it away from the unit, and rotate it 180* and stick it back on.   In other words, the right end is now over to the left, and left to right. This results in a new, undamaged "path" for the blade being available.

(you can first use a razor blade to clean off some of those loose nylon shards and shreds)

See my post in your other thread --

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/39049-how-to-replace-cutting-strip-on-sc-cutter/?p=298263

Edited by slice&dice

Hi Jessica ,

I have not used reflective tape to repair a cutting strip yet . There was a link to a list of 10 things like the reflective tape fix in a thread somewhere in here . I have never found it again :( . I damaged my cutting strip when the cutter spit out the vinyl due to speed & not enough slack in the vinyl roll . I just de-burred the strip & it has cut great for 5 years now .

I would advise you not to trash USC or be so negative before giving them the chance to respond . I was told you catch more flies with sugar than shit ..... & i agree . USC has always been a great company that stands behind it's products !!! It does keep it's company policies though . I think everything you list can be mailed & installed , instead of returning the unit . USC & your call on that . I would have bought the refurbed unit also . That eliminates the DOA chance that is there when they send a unit packaged in another country .

Hey, sixty bucks is sixty bucks.

The end cap damage is minimal (appears to have been done in transit, and it's not anything major, a few drops of J&B weld and good to go) and getting a new cutting strip & dust cover should do the trick to bring this customer back to smiling & loving life!!!

In the meantime, I have provided complete and detailed instructions regarding the cutting strip rotation, including photo illustration.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/39049-how-to-replace-cutting-strip-on-sc-cutter/?p=298263

:angel:

You are not going to 'flip' (turn over) the cutting strip --  just peel it away from the unit, and rotate it 180* and stick it back on.   In other words, the right end is now over to the left, and left to right. This results in a new, undamaged "path" for the blade being available.

(you can first use a razor blade to clean off some of those loose nylon shards and shreds)

yep i replied with more images showing that the damage is across the whole cutting strip unfortunately. 

Hi Jessica ,

I have not used reflective tape to repair a cutting strip yet . There was a link to a list of 10 things like the reflective tape fix in a thread somewhere in here . I have never found it again :( . I damaged my cutting strip when the cutter spit out the vinyl due to speed & not enough slack in the vinyl roll . I just de-burred the strip & it has cut great for 5 years now .

I would advise you not to trash USC or be so negative before giving them the chance to respond . I was told you catch more flies with sugar than shit ..... & i agree . USC has always been a great company that stands behind it's products !!! It does keep it's company policies though . I think everything you list can be mailed & installed , instead of returning the unit . USC & your call on that . I would have bought the refurbed unit also . That eliminates the DOA chance that is there when they send a unit packaged in another country .

i am a very nice person, trust me. im quite upset, dont get me wrong, but text is only text, when i call monday i will have a talk with them about this issue. im sure it will be resolved, but my chances are 50/50 concidering some of the things people have complained about the lack of customer help over the phone with cutters that arrive sub-par. remember im a chick too, we tend to complain a bit more dramatically sometimes, my intent is not to be negative, i am just completely shocked, thats all... 

Hey, sixty bucks is sixty bucks.

The end cap damage is minimal (appears to have been done in transit, and it's not anything major, a few drops of J&B weld and good to go) and getting a new cutting strip & dust cover should do the trick to bring this customer back to smiling & loving life!!!

In the meantime, I have provided complete and detailed instructions regarding the cutting strip rotation, including photo illustration.

:angel:

end cap being damaged is not really all that big of a deal. im going to use some epoxy in the next few days! 

its actually nice that the end caps are only held on with 2 screws. i would hate to have to go to repair this thing (after years of use) and have 5-10 screws on either side. the minimalistic design of this cutter , im loving it. quick and easy for the user to fix anything they need to on it. :)

I can almost guarantee that they will expect you to pay return shipping. My advice is...hook it up,if it cuts fine,works fine in every respect....and they offer you a new cutting strip,take it. If they don't, buy one. You will still be better off. USC policy is customer pays for return shipping,no exceptions.

I am not sure one this particular cutter but a pcut and roland they actually can be flipped (at least the old pcuts) they re about 1/8" thick and the pcut just pushed into place the roland actuall had to use a strip of banner hem tape after it was flipped to secure it down - just layed the bad side down on the hem tape - trimmed and put it into place!

Buying used, refurbished or not, you always take a risk. I know people dont like to hear that, but that is with anything in life. Think "certified pre-owned" cars dont have issues still? That is why I spent just a little more and got a brand new SC, plus all the vinyl and extras you could need from their Ebay store

Buying used, refurbished or not, you always take a risk. I know people dont like to hear that, but that is with anything in life. Think "certified pre-owned" cars dont have issues still? That is why I spent just a little more and got a brand new SC, plus all the vinyl and extras you could need from their Ebay store

There is a certain doctrine known as "Merchantability" ---  in this case, the cutter has an easily-corrected flaw which the average person fairly believes should have been taken care of by the seller (it's a $12. part). That type of thing is what the word "refurbished" indicates to a buyer.

I don't think this is something you can compare to a used car.

Well, maybe if that car is a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle, which is presented with the understanding that over 100 different critical systems and mechanicals have been checked out by the dealer and verified to be in good operating condition.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that USCutter approaches this with a good attitude and takes care of Jessica.

I disagree with the assumption of Jessica in the OP -

when i call , i expect the conversation to go alot like this "the unit is in used condition and reflects that, you should have bought the brand new unit" 

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that USCutter approaches this with a good attitude and takes care of Jessica.

I disagree with the assumption of Jessica in the OP -

when i call , i expect the conversation to go alot like this "the unit is in used condition and reflects that, you should have bought the brand new unit" 

I agree & would also bet on that plus give odds to boot ....

I am quite frugal myself and like someone else said I have bout several refurbished cell phones but it has to be a good return / exchange policy before I will buy . I also look for words like factory refurbished ,like new etc

The computer I use for my cutters is a refurbed unit from an ebay store for only $35.00 and I have used it for 3or4 years .

Dan

I have an MH model (stand by/ back up) cutter that I replaced the cutting strip with reflective. Using newer SC mostly bit the reflective does work well.My $.02 :rolleyes:

I can almost guarantee that they will expect you to pay return shipping. My advice is...hook it up,if it cuts fine,works fine in every respect....and they offer you a new cutting strip,take it. If they don't, buy one. You will still be better off. USC policy is customer pays for return shipping,no exceptions.

nope! i didnt have to pay shipping.  i called and talked to the guy and he was very helpful. i kindly told him what was going on. about how the end cap broke but i really wanst to concerned with that my main concern was the cutting strip. he says that the dust cover is not to come with a referb unit. he checked the site, and since it says so on the site he'll be sending me a dust cover but they will be editing their website for future sales. i already have the email confirmation and tracking info!

i dont mind buying this as a referb to save 60$ that went straight to buying a stand for this unit. knowing that all pieces are replaceable and this unit is easy to dissemble and work on gives me piece of mind. but for it to be equipped with a bad cutting strip is one thing. either way they made right by it and all is well.