daspink

Looking for help with wall graphics, i am new to working with vinyl

Hi all,

I was recently ask if I could do some vinyl wall graphics. I don't usaully work with vinyl as I mostly use my cutter for making sandblasting stencils.

I was hoping someone could tell me the basics of installing them and recommend a good vinyl for this application. Walls are indoors and are blocks with semi-gloss paint and a drywall (skim coat) with a statin paint finish.

Thanks!

If you're looking for art work that is removable with little to no damage to the walls, then Oracal 631 is definitely the way to go.  Note that 631 is a matte finish vinyl and really needs that specialty application tape (Oracal HT55) to get it to stick to the vinyl well enough to get it off the backing, and yet still be able to release when you get it on the wall.

If the walls have been recently painted, be sure to wait at least a couple of weeks before applying, as the paint will continue to outgas VOCs which will cause the vinyl to bubble and/or lift.

On painted concrete blocks, especially those with a rougher surface, you'll need something other than a standard squeegee to press it down - a felt squeegee might work, but most people have reported good luck with a tennis ball - a hair dryer or heat gun set to low will help get it to press down into the rough substrate, too.

• Like 2

Like what OW and Absolute said above, oracal 631 is the way to go, I am slowly venturing into wall decals myself. I bought perfect tear medium tack as the application tape and I don't have any complaints as of yet.