Sign in to follow this  
3fishdead

Cutting speed

It depends on the vinyl and the detail of the vinyl.If I'm cutting a design with a lot of fine detail and corners,I set it down to 12 or 16 i.p.s. .But if I'm cutting a set of large flames or tribals I run it at 24 or 36.The blade tends to skip on the small things instead of cutting them at the higher speeds.And the thicker mill vinyl needs to run slower so the blade has the time to cut through.Most of the vinyl I use is 3.2 mill,so I can only tell you what I run at.

Bill

I agree with Bill and I might also add that using a 60' blade and a intermediate vinyl like Oracal 651 give me the best results.

I haven't tried the 60's.Do you use more of the point of the blade on those?And are they more erratic than a 45 when ran at higher speeds?

I was playing with some ORACAL 751 2mil high performance cast vinyl last night and was around 4-8 IPS and anywhere from 20 to 100 grams of force. The letters were about 1/4" and it cut OK. Like all small print it weeds poorly and you have to be careful in the corners and all the interior spaces. I think I will try getting a squeege and modify it to press down on the part of the letter I want to keep so it will stay put while I work the rest of the vinyl. The material is not very stable on the backing so you really need to pay attention to not move the letters as you weed them. This stuff is really limber. I ws just playing and writing down what I did and what I got. I really liked the 4-8 IPM and 20 to 40 grams was better than 100 grams. I agree that it depends on what you are using.