tammy h

Help- Deciding on Heat Press

I have read thru several of the posts on heat presses- but a lot of them are a couple of years or more old.
I don't want to spend a fortune- but I'm getting requests for t-shirt capability etc.

I would like to purchase something I can use in the future - as I get more requests etc. So- I am considering the combo on the US Cutter site?

http://www.uscutter.com/Heat-Presses#product_listing=%3Fcurrent_page%3D1%26results_per_page%3D16%26order_by%3Dlowest_price%26search_params%3DCategory_DELIMITER_id%3A5

Can anyone give me feedback on this? Is this something where I'd be better buying a stand alone swing arm and then buying separate presses for caps/ mugs later or are the combos as good? I see a lot about uneven heat and not being able to use them w/ Sub printing later because of uneven heat? Would this be a concern on this one?
Also- if I got with like a 15x11 or 12 - can I heat press in 2 parts if I'm doing something larger...

Last question- and sorry for so many- but I saw someone recommended doing some t-shirts w/ an iron? I was told by the USCUtter Rep that they didn't recommend this... Is this possible? If it is- I'd definitely love to try it that way. But- as also mentioned - I see the heat transfer vinyl is much more expensive and I certainly don't want to ruin a bunch of material...

Thanks again- in advance- for all the advice! This group is so helpful !!

Tammy

there are a precious few that like the kit presses - the cost is similar to separate presses.  the time and effort to change the parts and then being less solid makes them no as well recived as you would think - here is a great cheap press with free shipping - for the lower end presses it is hard to beat.  http://sunie.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=vdvr50141s5brg23j46s27s546

With that said this forum is run by usc so it is always recommended you buy from them - even when it is $100 more for one with over the center pressure adjustment.

I am in the same boat, I'll either hold off when I have the full funds or buy something in the 200-400$ range and eventually move up to a Hotronix Fusion 16" x 20" Heat Press because not only has good reviews, but mostly the even heating, and the swinger or draw motion.  I want to be able to press an entire front/back so the 16 x 20 should be ok. vs a 12x12 or 12x15.

I'ts a big investment in my book, especially when it costs as much as the GraphTech ce6000 which will be my 1st purchase.

You can press in 2 parts. I have a 15 x 15 and have done it many times.

You may have seen people asking about using a iron on heat press vinyl but I don't recall anyone on here recommending it. You will not get even pressure or heat to make the vinyl adhere so it will not last long.

If you can't afford new, look in the local classifieds or on Craigslist for used machines. I see them on ours all the time.

I have the uscutter swing away press with nothing else just the press and I love it and it has def paid for itself a few times over again already

I have the uscutter swing away press with nothing else just the press and I love it and it has def paid for itself a few times over again already

The only swing away press I see they have is the: Economy 9" x 12" Swing-arm Heat Press - 110v, at about $150.00 bucks, is that the one you have.

I figured if I can multi press in 2 parts, that should be fine and a good investment. Wish they made a 12 x 12 or similar.

When I actually recommend a product I like to have actually had experience  on that model or brand at the least- I am looking for a fusion. Almost came home with a demo last year from the show in Indy.

Thank you for all the feedback. I have another question- sorry for so many...

Is there a huge advantage of the swing away vs. clamshell? I don't have a ton of room so the clamshell seems better to me, but at the same time, I see where the swing away might be easier to use.
Tammy

if you get a clam make sure it opens very wide - even then you will burn your knuckles a time or two - swing away you are not working under the heat - draw is even better - there are used draw hotronix now and then on craigslist

Is this what you are looking for?  Another Swing Away heat press listed on USCUTTER...Yes larger than 12" x12"  it is  15" x 15"

http://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press

Hmm, how did I miss that, I think 15x15 is enough for a starter, or I might've been locked on a 16+ which I measured a shirt I got on

and that I have printed via a site and 15x15 is more than enough for me at this moment.

the one Mz Skeeter posted is the one I have.  I like the swing away due to the fact im not working under the heat and its much easier to lay the shirt out and line stuff up on it.  You can take a few seconds extra becuase your not burning your knuckles and you can also see better to make sure you are lined up

I have decided (I'm 90%) on a swing away due to all of your advice. I feel more comfortable working under an open space vs. the clamshell top. I am afraid I'd hurry to avoid burning myself and end up applying something crooked ruining a product. I think I'd also be able to get better light on the subject without the top overhead.

I've noticed though that on ebay a lot of the warranties are 6 mo to 1 year vs. US Cutter 90 days? I also have noticed that some of the combo's aren't much more than the regular swing aways. I know that people don't like them - but I'm wondering if I can get a combo for a little more- even if I don't use the accessories ... I wouldn't be out much? So it boils down to the question -- is there any difference on the t-shirt part of the combos vs. the regular swing aways? It looks like they are basically the same except some are smaller plates. I was looking at an 11x15 tshirt plate. But if there's a difference in the combo vs. the swing away t-shirt plate I would probably go back to the stand alone swing away (which I might do anyway).

Tammy

the one Mz Skeeter posted is the one I have.  I like the swing away due to the fact im not working under the heat and its much easier to lay the shirt out and line stuff up on it.  You can take a few seconds extra becuase your not burning your knuckles and you can also see better to make sure you are lined up

Does that press swing left or right or both ways? I have dead space on my right so it would work out great

on the hotronix I have now and the ones I have had they can swing both ways - there is a stop you can move - or in my case remove

Hmm, how did I miss that, I think 15x15 is enough for a starter, or I might've been locked on a 16+ which I measured a shirt I got on

and that I have printed via a site and 15x15 is more than enough for me at this moment.

I've still not made a final decision -on a heat press. I've been going back & forth several times.

I was seriously leaning towards a swing away on ebay listed by Sun-ie. Then I noticed that it said 1" thick or less material for application- 1" adjustable? I would think on a really bulky hoodie this could be an issue... Please advise if the one you linked to on USCutter has the ability to do more than 1". Also- I don't see that listed on the clamshells.

One more question- on the clamshells is a 50% opening for a 15x15 pretty wide?

Sorry for all the questions- I just don't want to get something that's not useful.

I would prefer to buy from USCutter because that's where I've bought everything else but the warranty is 90 days where the Sun-ie is 1 year for the swing away and 2 years for the clamshell. They are a lot less expensive.

you thread the hoodie on over the platen - not lay the whole thing on top -  go with a hotronix swinger and you will never be sorry.

This is getting to be an older topic but I'm going to reply anyway in case you are still looking and for future searches.  I have the 15" swing away from USC and have had really good success with it. The only thing I did was get a hand held infrared heat tester to check the heat because the digital readout is in C and not even accurate in C. Once I did that so I was getting the correct heat temp I have had wonderful luck. The swing away has springs to get even pressure and I use them to guage how much pressure I am applying. The platten gives good even heat and I like the swing away so I can get a good layout on the garment without having the heat above my arms. The USC price is reasonable and paid for its self in no time. Some day I may upgrade to a fancy Hotronix but I'm a part time weekend warrior at this point.

That being said there is certainly truth to what dakotagrafx said about getting a nice machine. The old saying: "The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten" is still true today. I like most have budget constraints that make some of those decisions for me.

Thanks for the feedback, is the lower platen attached so a t-shirt is threadable over the platen? helpfull if you want to press rhinestones on the back and vinyl on the front or any other combo you don't want to reheat the first press.

Thanks for the feedback, is the lower platen attached so a t-shirt is threadable over the platen? helpfull if you want to press rhinestones on the back and vinyl on the front or any other combo you don't want to reheat the first press.

No the lower platen is center mounted so threading on shirts is hard to do. I use a heat pillow when worried but I have never done rhinestones.

actually if it is center mounted a shirt should thread far enought to work

I bought the clamshell press from Sunie and we're having an issue with it.
I'm not sure if anyone's run into anything like this- but - all of the sudden last night no matter how tight or how loose we adjust the pressure knob there is no pressure. We noticed when trying to lock it down it locks down very easily and we're having trouble getting it to apply to the transfers. My husband checked it and said moving the knob no longer makes a difference...

Any ideas what this could be?

Figured I'd contact Sunie this AM.

if you got the model with the over the center of the platen pressure knob and it is screwed all the way clockwise and it locks down easy it would almost have to be a broken weld - let us know how it turns out
any of the newer models with the pressure adjustment on the back I would steer clear of - read of too many of that type of set up bending and breaking of all makes - was very disappointed when sunie added some of those to the line up.

Yes- it's the over the center pressure one that was linked on here. I think you might have that same one.
I wonder what they'll do with a broken weld. I've contacted them but no response yet.

I'm swimming in t-shirt/ koozie orders (which is good!) but I'm a little worried now having this heat press issue.

Tammy