Sign in to follow this  
jethro bodine

Our first paid job with our first cutter woohooo!

Our first real customer owns a body shop and wanted to know if we could translate the logo on his business card into vinyl for his company truck, trailers etc... I am a dementedly over confident dude so of course I said yes even tho we are total noobs its a multi color/layer job lol... so we get the card in the mail and away we gooopost-35330-0-09615400-1357859555_thumb.j

Well.... took a lot of doing lol... a lot of trial and error... oh did I mention I'm not really all that experienced with software like corel or scal? hee heeee... and I don't even want to talk about how many square feet of vinyl gave up their lives so that this project might live lol... but we kept our sense of humor and considered it on the job training, and have gotten it to this layup which is off to the customer for approval and or suggestions.post-35330-0-38965000-1357859845_thumb.j

In my eyes its far from perfect and I won't be surprised at all if we have to redo it, but at the same time I'm very happy with all we learned in three painful days, and in particular I'm pretty happy with how well the "Autobody" lettering came out.

Hope ya like, any feedback, tips, criticism is welcome.

That is truly the ultimate learning curve.  Taking that first job thinking "I have know idea how I am gonna get this done"  then spending time "getting it done".  You can learn so much so fast with that first job.  Usually what you walk away from it with is the confidence knowing you got it done and learned a ton in the process.  Looks good btw.

thanks and yes I know your right... still working on that d font... so far I haven't found a real match and I don't really feel like \I have the time to create it but I'm going to keep working on it.  I'm pretty sure the customer will be happier if we match it

post-21408-0-57384300-1357876487_thumb.jHi guys,

The devil's in the details ---

* Checkered flag is part of the logo, it's easy enough to add.

* The 'D' can be achieved with node editing (or finding that same font) --  I used Crilee Bold and messed with it a bit to come up with the approximate match [see pic]

*  Autobody text kinda starts bigger with the A and has a perspective that gets smaller & narrower to the y.

* Ampersand is wrong.

The correct one is to be found within the SignBlazer Draw menu / LIBRARY, Symbols, Ampersand 2 category, second row, third item from left.

Looks good but like slice said, it could use some work. Keep reading on here and dont be afraid to ask questions. 

There's a lot of smart people on here and you'll be up there too, just keep practicing. 

Being an expert with Fonts is what makes you a professional sign maker.

It's critically important to have the knowledge of what font to choose for a particular job, to know when to use serif or sans serif, and understand how fonts express various "ideas" as well as having the skill to just look at a font and say "That's Dynamo" (or Dauphin or whatever...)

Fonts are an entire universe unto themselves.