Sign in to follow this  
neeboy74

aligning material in Laserpoint?

Hello to all:

I just received my new 24" Laserpoint cutter.  How are we supposed to align the material when loading it into the machine?  I'm not talking about using the laser for aligning to pre-printed graphics.  I'm taking about what (in my opinion) should be the most important issue when using any kind of cutting device:  Feeling assured that your material isn't skewed.  I know these US Cutter machines are supposed to be a fantastic value, but $400 is still a good chunk of change!  They seem to be selling briskly on eBay, so either I'm a moron or a lot of people out there are "settling."  Thanks! :huh:

You need to run it through manually and adjust the vinyl as needed to make it straight.

If it's a small graphic (no need to worry too much about the vinyl drifting), I usually do my best to line it up with the lines on the white/yellow/black sticker.

If it's a larger job, then I do my best to pull the roll taught and go from there. The rolls of vinyl are pretty straight, but it's not dead on. From there, I just spool the vinyl back and forth and make minor adjustment until the drift is acceptable to do my run - to do that I usually leave one roller down and just nudge the opposing corner of the vinyl (basically using the down roller at a pivot). I've learned that there is now way that I can do it 100% ramrod straight.

If you're working with loose vinyl and it's long enough to have the ends meet when it's thru the cutter, then you can pull both ends forward to you, line up the edges of the vinyl with itself, drop the feed roller, then take it off line and feed the vinyl back to the start position

I'm sure there are others here that have their tricks that they will be more than happy to share with you.

Good luck.

I have used some transfer tape for lining up my rolls and to stop the vinyl from grabbing the little ribs and lips on the front side of the machine.

My vinyl has some decent memory from being rolled up and will buckle when it catches on the little ribs or at the very end of the front there