Sign in to follow this  
noreason

MH 871-MK2 Cutting issues

I just bought a US cutter MH 871-MK2 a few weeks ago and have had cut problems since the unboxing (surprise surprise!). My problems aren't horrible like some that I have seen, but they are definitely problems.

Lines seem to be randomly jagged and are ALWAYS incomplete unless I use an overcut option and even with overcut, weeding is a pain in the ass on detailed stuff. The test cut doesn't even weed properly. Always catches at the bottom left corner of the box, every time.

Every piece of software I've tried with every configuration that I have come across on the net seems to give the same results. Even with the plotting pen you can clearly see the cuts aren't complete and the lines are jagged. 

Now maybe I'm just asking too much out of a budget machine, but I really figured it would work a little better than it has been.

Here is a video of my rollers... I'm assuming this ISN'T normal?

Here is a video of a test cut. Always catches in the same two spots... What causes this? Is it normal?

I'm using windows 7, and have tried both USB and USB to serial (i haven't tried true serial yet) and net the same results. I'm assuming the machine is having issues if the internal test cut isn't weeding right though. Unless that's how the test cut is supposed to work and I'm just dumb.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have 4 different cutters,all different brands, and all of the rollers have that kind of play when in the up position.

As for the catching...could be a low spot on the cutting strip or maybe you need a wee bit more pressure. Sometimes when I change vinyl, it takes me 5 or more tries to get it right.

Good to know the pinch rollers aren't doing something they aren't suppose to do...

As far as the catching, doesn't matter what pressure I use, or how i adjust the blade, it seems to cut the exact same way every time, at all speeds, with all settings.

That is blade offset problem. It looks to be too high.. You adjust that in your cutting software. Your corners, should be sharp.  What is it set at?    To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 2

I see what you are referring to carolyn but I think the offset is only off a little - the points on the star is good and the corners of the box are close- I am thinking just add a little overcut to it

@Dakota, but he did add overcut    he stated below from first post

Lines seem to be randomly jagged and are ALWAYS incomplete unless I use an overcut option and even with overcut, weeding is a pain in the ass on detailed stuff. The test cut doesn't even weed properly. Always catches at the bottom left corner of the box, every time.

seriously - you though I wore my glasses - I kinda use the force and sometimes it is a little off.  I would watch and see if that is where the cutter starts and stops a cut for that part - maybe the overcut isn't enough . . . . hmmmm  where are those glasses now

I gave up and just accepted this for what it is. A cheap machine. Support didn't do anything and nothing I change seems to fix the problems, which aren't horrible and don't render the machine unusable, it's just more annoying than anything. You get what you pay for...

Appreciate the help from those who posted suggestions.

i had the same problem with the 871, simple solution is take the black cover off of the cutting head and tighten all the bolts for the cutting head, you will see 100% improvement in your cutting, i set my pressure at 120 and keep my speed low with no over cut and an offset of .25

i had the same problem with the 871, simple solution is take the black cover off of the cutting head and tighten all the bolts for the cutting head, you will see 100% improvement in your cutting, i set my pressure at 120 and keep my speed low with no over cut and an offset of .25

My middle roller I don't use at all if I do my vinyl will cur up and cause it to raise and knife goes crazy.  Support told me to leave it off, my off-set is a nightmare, playing with 0.25, .28, .30 my Ts and Es are messy.. I would be happy if I can get it right on and deal with the middle roller.  Out of the question to use 34' inch vinyl.

I printed few samples using various offset and still not the quality I want.  I am wondering if I should have thrown extra 200-300 bucks and get a better one.

The attachment doesn't look good/detailed I included the google drive high res images and video here.

post-34952-0-68637200-1396031148_thumb.j

My middle roller I don't use at all if I do my vinyl will cur up and cause it to raise and knife goes crazy.  Support told me to leave it off, my off-set is a nightmare, playing with 0.25, .28, .30 my Ts and Es are messy.. I would be happy if I can get it right on and deal with the middle roller.  Out of the question to use 34' inch vinyl.

I printed few samples using various offset and still not the quality I want.  I am wondering if I should have thrown extra 200-300 bucks and get a better one.

The attachment doesn't look good/detailed I included the google drive high res images and video here.

on my titan with a 60 degree blade the offset is .025  - not .25 - might check your numbers - on the middle roller - just make sure it isn't in the middle where the support is underneath - it needs to be OVER a grit roller.   if you get that unit to "print" let us know i am sure everyone would like to do that LOL

I made sure middle roller is not in center over metal non moving parts, but I will def. get a 60 degree blade and SCALP software to do a test run @ ie .025, as you can see or tried .4 to .2 big difference and wondering what gives me @ 0.05 or even 0.025

I think i cam to conclusion that it will do its job regardless, wondered about the cutting part for fancy vinyl like Oracal 975 Textured Cast Graphite Metallic (932)

post-34952-0-99773700-1396112121_thumb.j