twentythreemx

registration mark question, driving me nuts - help!!

Hi, new to cutting and designing and pretty much all of this, but anyways... I'm trying to practice some multi layer stuff. With SCAL is there an easy way to insert registration marks? I only see the option to do it when printing also, I don't want to print. I have a MH series, no laser or anything. Just trying to add marks to line up my layers.

So for now until I find a better way... I manually am importing registration marks. However, when I go to cut, it would be very nice if I can do cut by color.. however it will then not cut my registration marks on each layer, only the layer corresponding to the color I have them.

I'd imagine there has to be a better, smarter, quicker way to do this with SCAL. Can someone point me in the right direction? I've searched forums and youtube with no luck with this specific software....

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

personally I draw a diamond and copy it to both sides - then copy to each color layer . . .

Do like dakotagrafix says - add a diamond (or any shape you prefer) and arrange as many as you need to make it easy to line up the layers.

To make the shapes cut on every color you need to look at the layers feature (menu at top of SCAL screen Windows:Layers)

Each color will already be on a layer.  Adding 2 shapes for reg marks will come in on 2 more layers.  I usually merge these 2 layers to get the reg marks on a single layer.

Use the "show" "hide" (little eye icon to the left end in each layers bar) to make the color you want to cut visible and all others hidden.  Leave the layer with the reg marks visible.

Then the mark will be cut with every color in turn.

thanks for the responses.

That is pretty much what I was doing.. I would just hide the layers, leaving what I want to cut + the reg mark layer, cut, go back, hide that layer, show a new one, cut, etc

It just seemed like there should be a more efficient way to do it. I saw some videos with other software that had registration mark features built into it. I was looking for something just to save some time, and to be able to use the 'cut by color' feature.  If I have 5 different objects on my mat it can be pretty confusing trying to show/hide all of the different layers, where as if I could just cut by the color it would save a ton of time, and be a little less confusing... as you would color coordinate with the vinyl your cutting and then its a no brainer what you need to cut next.

so, assuming then there is no way to do that? Thanks again for the response so far!

If you make your reg mark a seperate color , you can choose to cut that color & each other color in the cut window with a simple click on the reg mark color & what color you want to cut . I don't know how it could be much easier . That is easier for me than adding the reg to each color . I have not cut multi colors with SCALPro yet , but just tried sending multi colors to the cutter & seemed to be doing what you ask . That seems to be the standard way in inexpensive software ... I don't know how Flexi pro does it .

easiest way is to buy an eco solvent printer - I even sold my light table after that LOL

thanks for the responses.

That is pretty much what I was doing.. I would just hide the layers, leaving what I want to cut + the reg mark layer, cut, go back, hide that layer, show a new one, cut, etc

It just seemed like there should be a more efficient way to do it. I saw some videos with other software that had registration mark features built into it. I was looking for something just to save some time, and to be able to use the 'cut by color' feature.  If I have 5 different objects on my mat it can be pretty confusing trying to show/hide all of the different layers, where as if I could just cut by the color it would save a ton of time, and be a little less confusing... as you would color coordinate with the vinyl your cutting and then its a no brainer what you need to cut next.

so, assuming then there is no way to do that? Thanks again for the response so far!

I think you are not understanding my comment.  If you have 5 objects that are going to be cut in 2 colors say 3 of one and 2 of the other - I am saying to have all of the same color objects on a layer for each color and an additional layer with the reg marks.  So in this example there would be 3 layers.  In SCAL3PRO the layers can be merged and rearranged to get the ones you want all on the same layer - it is simple - but my explanation may be confusing you - sorry for that.

Set up the layers right and it is very easy to cut all of the different colors with reg marks this way.

MARS...maybe you (or someone on the forum) could put together a short little instructional video to show us Newbies how to do what you just explained. I know as a brand new newbie, I would really like to see something like that. After all, I'm just a man and you probably know that men learn best by "show and tell!" LOL...

At any rate, just a suggestioin. Blessings to all of you on this forum for the valuable information you provide.

Glenn

yeah i'm not following either!!! Or maybe I am and we are just communicating it differently.

I beleive what you are saying is to have a layer with JUST the reg marks... and leave it visible at ALL TIMES, and then HIDE the layer you dont want to print, so for a 2 color example.. youd have 1 layer for say red, and 1 layer for say blue, and then 1 layer for your reg mark. You're saying to just one of the colors, so to cut red, hide the blue layer, then cut. then hide the red layer, make blue visable, then cut again.

Is that what you're saying? If so that is what I am doing..

However I was hoping to use the feature of "cut by color"... meaning I dont have to go in and manually hide layers, and then cut each time... its not horrible to do it the way I mentioned, it would just be way better and less confusing if working with several objects with differnet layers on each..

am i making any sense? lol.. Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance.

im new to cutting, just Got a cutter  12-27-2012   

i did a double layer  first shot  with  SCAL

added 4 triagles to both of my images and cut them as well,  then weeded the images leaving the  triagles on both ...

taped down the edges of my  bottom layer to my desk  so it would not move and be very flat..

then  cut the  backing on  my second layer  just where the triagles were  the lined them up with the bottom layer ..

then  i  did the hinge method  where i type a hinge in the middle of my top layer   .. peeled  half the backing  and everything layed down just perfect..,....   hope this  helps  some one