NichoDesign

Cutter under $1.7k, To do Vinyl, Magnets, T-Shirts, and Sandblasting

This might also shed some light on these 2 vinyl cutters I had in mind to help others decide
on which cutter might be for them. 

I have my eyes on the GRAPHTEC CE5000-60 and the Roland GX-24.

From specs and such they both do the same thing but at the end I have few concerns.

The key points that I like about the Graphtec vs. Roland are:

• For about 1,700 bucks not only do I get the stand but I get free shipping.
  • It works very well with Corel and or Illustrator or other software like Flexi.

The key points that I like about the Roland are:

• Name brand, been around and huge community online.
  • Be able to find parts or able to fix it/etc.
  • Support and Warranty?

Well they both do the same stuff, with the exception of price.  The concerns I have are.

• Can I cut vinyl with enough down-force to do the type of vinyl that it is used for
    Sandblasting.
  • I will most likely be using multiple vinyls for 2-3 color t-shirt printing so accurate cuts is a must.
  • Can I cut Magnet Vinyl (car magnet) Magnet vinyl for cars? 
  • Replacement parts are Graphtec parts as easy to find as Roland, and I’m guessing Graphtec parts are cheaper.
  • I read something about Contouring that Roland was way better vs. Graphtec, true
    or untrue.  What I read is Graphtec does contouring just as good.
  • Roland uses quality bearings on metal parts (metal on metal) and Graphtec bearings on plastic (causing problems down the road)

Hope that I am not asking too much of a vinyl cutter, but it would be ideal to be versed all around and put it to good use in various areas nut just vinyl decals, but t-shirts, sandblasting glass, mirrors, or even plastic.

You get more bang for your buck with a Graphtec,  You will find many, many more Graphtec owners on here , just because of that reason.

A Graphtec has more speed and down force. and you will get the stand, which is a major plus. You will regret right away not getting a stand.

I have had my Graphtec going on 5 years, and never a problem.  Will cut very detailed work.  Great warranty, But I have never had to use it.

From what I have read about magnets, you dont' cut them all the way thru, only score and break a part, or you will ruin your cutting strip.

I have never regretted a Graphtec.   I don't print vinyl, so I don't contour cut.

And the tracking is great on a Graphtec.

From what I read on another comparison chart  Graphtec force is 300 and speed  24in a sec,, max accepted thickeness 0.25 mm

Roland 250 GF    20in a sec  max accepted thickness 0.1mm

I would think if you found an independant comparison ( not factory giving specs ) , you would get realistic data . I would trust the data USC gives if they themselves tested & were not using what they were supplied with . You bring up some interesting points . Have you compared the Gerber ? At the Atlantic City sign show I attended a few years ago the Gerber was considered head & shoulders above everything else by everybody .

I've owned about 3 of each the GRAPHTEC CE5000-60 and the Roland GX-24 and for most things I prefer the GRAPHTEC CE5000-60 - that is my daily cutter now

I did some checking  with the Gerber Tempo 600,  Force, speed, and media thickness the same as the Graphtec,  I just can't find a new cutter price.  I went to about 5 distributors and they say call for pricing. ..in several different states.

There was a MAJOR jump in price over a Roland when going to the Gerber a couple years ago .

I figured it was a scary price,  that's why they want you to call, so a sales person can talk you right into it.  LOL

Sorta like Snap-On tools .. they advertise " the most expensive tools you can buy "

Perfect timing, the GraphTec 6000 came out, so that's my 1st choice right now.  I think there are different specs on the Japan / USA products, one has a set of specs the USA has a different one.