blackpaws

Is your tech team really support or just sales?

I did a small amount of research on the forum and could not find my answer, so I wanted to call Us Cutter first before proceeding with more research. What a mistake. I have been using a straight USB connection on my MH721 for over 5 years now, and just wanted some help switching to a Serial Connection. My cutter is stopping in the middle of a cut, and Serial is the first answer to most problems. So that's ALL I'm trying to do here. Connect via Serial. I am getting an error in Sign Blazer when I go to cut using this new connection, and it is obviously the connection and something to do with the device settings, and I just wanted help figuring it out. 

The gentlemen I spoke with first told me to shut the cutter off, close SB, then turn cutter on, open SB, and it will cut. I was skeptical this was all it was, so I hurried up and did it while I still had him on the phone as he explained why that would fix it. That didn't fix it. He was completely dumbfounded when I told him that didn't work, and I re-explained my issue since maybe I wasn't clear the first time on the problem I was having. He then told me that my cutter is only meant to last 3 months, because that's all the warranty is good for. He said that I am a hobbyist using a hobby cutter, and if I want to be a professional I need to upgrade. I tried explaining to him about 3 times that I didn't want to upgrade, I just wanted to cut using a different type of connection, and I was just looking for help in troubleshooting my connection. He refused to help me, and basically told me to throw my cutter away and buy a new one. I told him, when cars are meant to only last 10 years, and something breaks on them, do you just throw them away, or do you try to fix it? He said (and this makes no sense what so ever) that it's the same thing, when it breaks you get rid of it....:huh: Um not where I come from. And evidently not what US Cutter believes or they wouldn't sell replacement parts??? 

Anyways, I only ever had to deal with your support one other time, it was about 8 months ago. I needed a new motherboard, and the 2 people I dealt with them were more than helpful. I wish I would have recorded the conversation I just had, I am still in disbelief in how stupid it was. Wish I got the guys name, but hopefully if you guys keep an eye on your tech team and monitor their calls, he won't be with your company much longer anyways. Thanks for listening! 

I agree with repairing things . If you want to really address your experience, you should pm the member " USC support " or pm John ( BannerJohn ) the administrator & he can forward it to someone who could handle things better . USC personal do not spend much time on the forum & those that do would be in a bad situation dealing with it . I have had nothing but pure professionalism dealing with USC .

Did you change your setting in Signblazer? It should be simply com1. If it is still set on USB it will not cut on serial.

Thanks for your reply. I got a new serial-usb cord at radioshack last night. I got everything squared away with the device driver, but in my cutter setup settings, "...Radioshack USB to Serial.." does not work, nor does any of the other options. Now I'm starting to get stumped here.

Are you using the same serial cable that you were before? It may not be the adapter but the cable may be the problem.

It may very well be the problem, it has been a long time since I researched this but didn't the earlier mh's have to have a nulmodem serial cable - I am sure someone that is more current will jump in but as I remember that is why usc sold the serial cables for that machine specifically

Makes sense in a way. How do you like your Graphtec? I almost got the same machine when my motherboard went in mine earlier last year, but since I replaced the mobo it's worked like a champ until recently so I kept holding off. I just can't bring myself to upgrade though if my fix here is a $30 cord 

Allison I am sorry to hear about the way you were treated. We have a few new guys in here that are still learning! If you still need help on this call and ask for Mike Northman. He is our Tier 3 tech and will get this worked out in no time.

It may very well be the problem, it has been a long time since I researched this but didn't the earlier mh's have to have a nulmodem serial cable - I am sure someone that is more current will jump in but as I remember that is why usc sold the serial cables for that machine specifically

What Dakota says here about the null modem cable is exactly correct. You will need to string that usb to serial adapter cable from Radioshack together with the standard null modem serial cable together. So your cables will look like this: The usb from the radio shack cable will be plugged into your computer, the other end of that cable will be plugged into the null modem serial cable, the other end of the null modem serial cable will plug into your cutter. You will probably not be on Com1 because it is a usb to serial adapter cable. If you do not see the device assigned to a Com # in SignBlazer then you will need to open the device manager in Windows and check to see what Com # has been assigned. If it is over Com 8 then you will need to reassign it to something that is com8 or lower.

• Like 4

The issue could be a number of different things, likely static related if it's just stopping in the middle of cuts. The USB to serial adapter wont resolve the static issues but it can help to mitigate them since a serial connection is harder to interrupt. First, if your cutter is a first generation MH (mk1) it will need to have a Null Modem serial cable coming from the cutter to the adapter. Second, most radio shack USB to Serial adapters will not work... Or Staples or Office Depot for that matter. That's why we only carry the Keyspan USB to serial adapter. It's the only one that we can say for sure will work as it should every time and we've tested it thoroughly.  Another solid USB to serial adapter is a Belkin- but in either case you have to have a Null Modem serial cable for either to work. Banner John is correct in that a serial connection is given COM 1 by default, however, if you're using a USB to serial adapter it will likely get a regular COM port number in the device manager. If none of this helps, be sure to call in to the support department and speak with Mike Northman. 425-902-1302

... really sorry to hear about your experience. We're better than that.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the replies!! Where can I order a null cable from?

I suggest buying 1 from USC .

so the keyspan adapters from Staples don't work?  That would explain my 2 month long frustration.....  (I mean, after 2 calls to customer service and several cables and a keyspan adapter with no luck, I kinda gave up on the "reliable" serial connection.)

I am headed over to Radioshack here in a little bit to get the null adapter, they say its in-stock. Hoping this will be the fix! I'll post results later. 

so the keyspan adapters from Staples don't work?  That would explain my 2 month long frustration.....  (I mean, after 2 calls to customer service and several cables and a keyspan adapter with no luck, I kinda gave up on the "reliable" serial connection.)

A real  KEYSPAN, actually has the name KEYSPAN on it..  That is the brand name... KEYSPAN . Made by

Tripp Lite.  It has been written hundreds of times in this forum, to either go serial cable, or get a KEYSPAN ADAPTER,  I have written it many, many  times myself...

http://www.uscutter.com/Keyspan-USB-Serial-Adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-Serial-Adapter-USA-19HS-/120420154018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0999baa2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812999081

• Like 2

A real  KEYSPAN actually has the name KEYSPAN on it..  That is the brand name... KEYSPAN  made by

Tripp Lite  and it has been written hundreds of times in this forum to either go serial cable, or get a KEYSPAN ADAPTER,  I have written it many, many  times myself...

http://www.uscutter.com/Keyspan-USB-Serial-Adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-Serial-Adapter-USA-19HS-/120420154018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0999baa2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812999081

I couldnt have said it better myself. Lots of manufacturers put out garbage adapters that will sometimes work and other times not work. IF you are using an MH series cutter and you intend to cut on the serial connection you ABSOLUTELY need a null modem serial cable to go with it. That null modem serial cable comes with the cutter, but if for some reason you do not have it you will need to go get one. Or you can simply cut on the usb connection. The only reason the usb connection is inferior is because it is fragile. If you trip on the usb cable your usb port in the cutter is likely broken.

• Like 3

"  I have written it many, many  times myself..." is a MAJOR understatement !!! .. only thing that has been typed more is the manual way to adjust blade depth :)

• Like 2

lo

Makes sense in a way. How do you like your Graphtec? I almost got the same machine when my motherboard went in mine earlier last year, but since I replaced the mobo it's worked like a champ until recently so I kept holding off. I just can't bring myself to upgrade though if my fix here is a $30 cord 

Love the graphtec - have has p-cut, mh series (2), copam, roland pnc-1290, GX-24 (3) Graphtec FC-4100, vinyl express Q60+, Graphtec ce5000-60 (3-4)  and I have to say I love the graphtecs for everything except contour cutting I find the contour cutting much easier on the roland but I can't beat the small cuts on the graphtec so that is what I have for a daily cutter - my printer is a roland though.

• Like 1

I couldnt have said it better myself. Lots of manufacturers put out garbage adapters that will sometimes work and other times not work. IF you are using an MH series cutter and you intend to cut on the serial connection you ABSOLUTELY need a null modem serial cable to go with it. That null modem serial cable comes with the cutter, but if for some reason you do not have it you will need to go get one. Or you can simply cut on the usb connection. The only reason the usb connection is inferior is because it is fragile. If you trip on the usb cable your usb port in the cutter is likely broken.

I might add that the vibration of the cutter itself can break the USB connection if it is not tight. I had this problem with my first USB cutter and solved it by duct taping the USB to the cutter where it couldn't move. Never a problem after that.

• Like 1

I have never found a problem that duct tape did not help repair :)

• Like 1

I have never found a problem that duct tape did not help repair :)

Man's second best friend, Rodger.

• Like 1