blackpaws

Switching from USB to Serial-USB connection on MH721, getting error

I called US Cutter to help me with this issue but the gentlemen I spoke with would not address my issue and instead told me things like "It's time for a new cutter" "Your cutter is only meant to be used for 3 months" and just wanted me to "buy a professional cutter". 

I am clearly frustrated as my cutter has worked fine for at least 5 years and I just got a new mother board earlier this year, and has ran like a champ since up until the last couple weeks. I am running into the same problem a million other people on here have had...the cutter stops in the middle of a cut. Some of you will probably find it amazing I've ran a straight USB connection all this time (I know I am after seeing a ton of posts about the issues with that). I bought a serial to usb connector and I'm just trying to get my device settings right so I can use this connection, but I can't. USCutter was ZERO help as they would not address this issue with me what so ever so here I am, asking for yours :) 

I am using Win7 HP, the most up to date Version of SB (I found) with the patch. I am getting the error when I go to cut that "Cannot open output device. Error initializing cutter." The USB-Serial connection is selected in my settings, device driver installed. I have a feeling its something with the driver settings, but not sure what. I have it currently set to "Hardware" (tried the Xon Xoff - doesn't work either). 

Any ideas? Would really appreciate any help. I know one thing is for sure, whatever my next cutter may be, it wont be purchased through US Cutter after that call!!!!!! 

It could also be other problems.  Is the design you are cutting large and detailed?  It could be lack of memory,  Are you turning off your cutter between jobs?  You should, to dump the data from the last order.  It could be static, which is common this time of year.  Wipe your vinyl with a dryer sheet, put a dryer sheet in your vinyl roll,  Spray Static Guard,,

Make sure your com port number, matches in computer device manager and Signblazer

Sounds like a port setting issue to me . I am in business & the reason for that is to make money . I assume USC has the same reasons ....( as do employees ) . I would not be bent by a company employee trying to make money for the company they work for ... I would be disappointed if they didn't . You may have been given good advice, but your choice to decide . The lower end cutters certainly have more limitations that higher end cutters . That should not be a surprise to anybody . If the limitaions are not acceptable , it is good advice to buy a better cutter that does not have those limitations IMO . I have 2 Copams & don't expect them to perform like a Graphtec or Gerber . I think of it this way ... anybody can buy the best new tool to help get the best results .. being able to do the same thing with less expensive stuff shows the skill of the operator . It also makes more profit for a small company where a lapse in production does not hurt as much .

It could also be other problems.  Is the design you are cutting large and detailed?  It could be lack of memory,  Are you turning off your cutter between jobs?  You should, to dump the data from the last order.  It could be static, which is common this time of year.  Wipe your vinyl with a dryer sheet, put a dryer sheet in your vinyl roll,  Spray Static Guard,,

I honestly thought about the static thing and it slipped my mind until now because I was set on getting this Serial set up. I just want to cut using this connection and see if it fixes my issues like everyone else on this forum. I will try using the dryer sheets though and see if that helps. I thought of the memory too. Might be a problem with it, but definitely not lacking. I am cutting same stuff I have been for years now and this is all of a sudden happening. 

Cutter is grounded. I would really like to just figure out why I'm getting an error when trying to connect using the serial cord...

It sounds like you have a Serial to USB Adapter. Have you installed the Serial to USB driver software? Do you have SignBlazer Output Device set to Blazer.COM1? (or whatever port you adapter shows up as in Hardware Manager)

Yeah I'm definitely having an issue with that particular driver. There's an error icon over the device name. After a lot of research, found out my cord was a cheap fake from China (I had ordered it of ebay). What's even better - I made sure to order it from USA and it's origination is Pittsburgh, and still managed to be a fake. Anyways, I'm just going to go with a new keyspan adapter and in the mean time - the dryer sheets seem to be working! Just can't rely on my good ol USB connection anymore, at least in the winter. Thanks for all your help!