Mickie

Hello from another newbie

Hello everyone. My name is Mickie and I am new to this site and cutting vinyl. Well, I do have a small cricut but I haven't used it much at all so I am starting from scratch. I have been reading as much as possible before my machince, SC series comes. It arrived today and I have loaded the software. I'm looking at buying a few designs to do some gift items, things to sell at craft shows and maybe do a few decals for cornhole boards. We make and sell the gamebags and just thought this would be a good thing to add.  We have done craft shows for years with all kinds of craft items.

So consider this a warning, lol, I'll probably be here asking tons of questions when I start trying to make my own designs and cutting designs.

I look forward to learning  loads from you all.

Happy New Year!!!

• Like 1

Welcome and Howdy from Texas.  There are tons of knowledgeable folks here, I have no doubt your every question can be taken care of here.  

Mickie, hi!

The first thing to do is reposition your farthest to the right pinch-roller stop screw.

The SC has a flaw in the set-screw position of the far-right pressure roller.
If you slide it all the way to the right, where the set-screw is located to stop it, the pinch-roller will actually MISS (be over too far, beyond) the lower grit roller.

I fixed this myself by drilling a new hole and moving the set-screw.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/37334-sc-issue-vinyl-crumples/?p=284146

• Like 1

Welcome from Wisconsin!

I got the Ultimate Ornaments book in my package and it's loaded with different designs...

Hello everyone. My name is Mickie and I am new to this site and cutting vinyl. Well, I do have a small cricut but I haven't used it much at all so I am starting from scratch. I have been reading as much as possible before my machince, SC series comes. It arrived today and I have loaded the software. I'm looking at buying a few designs to do some gift items, things to sell at craft shows and maybe do a few decals for cornhole boards. We make and sell the gamebags and just thought this would be a good thing to add.  We have done craft shows for years with all kinds of craft items.

So consider this a warning, lol, I'll probably be here asking tons of questions when I start trying to make my own designs and cutting designs.

I look forward to learning  loads from you all.

Happy New Year!!!

Hi , Are you friends with Tony Basil ? :)

Your age is showing Rodger  :-)~

4-sure :) . I have a cd that has an assortment of the old stuff ... sometimes I blast Tony Basil's song while pulling up on the job & crack everybody up ..... well except for those who get a brain worm from the song .. which is hilarious to me :lol: ( I HOPE I did not give anybody else a brain worm here .... :) )

I have heard that song enough back when it was popular..... however.... there is a ton of great stuff from that same era that is still great to listen to.  (ooops, is my age showing?)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Slice&Dice, Thanks for the advice,  I am not sure what your telling me since the machine is still in the box, but I'll bet I find out soon enough. :mellow:   Rodger, You have my curiosity going. Who is Tony Basil? I am famiiar with songs from wayback, but that name isn't one I remember, nor do I know what song you are refering to. :huh:

Ok, so here's a question I probably should have asked before I ordered this machine. Do I need illustrator, corel draw, or any other software to work with the Surecuts alot pro that came with my machine? I have been playing with some designs I downloaded from the Sure cuts alot website and other sites. Some things worked well, others didn't even show in the preview box so that tells me they aren't completed designs. I did go to the free Illustrator site but couldn't get the download to work. Of course free is a good price but... :rolleyes:  Thanks for all suggestions and advice in advance.

Hilarious & SUCH a fine brain worm to share !!! So bad it is good :)

SCALPro is all you need . Design & cut with the same program makes it much easier , especially for starting out .

SCALPro is all you need . Design & cut with the same program makes it much easier , especially for starting out .

Oh, yea...LOL  back to the topic!!

• Like 1

Oh, yea...LOL  back to the topic!!

Always is the time to have fun & humor :)

LOL, I know that song very well, just not the name of the artist. I guess I have dated myself, but that's ok too. The worst incident for me was after an introduction to a new eye Dr., He actually sang that song to me while I was in the exam chair. What a wacko he was, lol.

Slice&Dice, I went back and reviewed the roller link you posted again so I will know what to watch for now. Thanks again for the heads up on that.

Great, I really didn't want to buy and learn another software. Thanks again.

Ok, here's my next question. I see cups, glasses, tiles, and plates decorated with vinyl. Are these treated someway to make them washable and foodsafe but still decorated? I know about sandblasting and etching but not sure how the vinyl stays on the glass without some sort of a binder (for lack of a better word).

The vinyl has a high-tack pressure-sensitive adhesive designed to form a "molecular bond" onto the surface of any smooth metal, plastic, glass.

It is rated to remain in place without cracking or peeling for several years under nominal conditions.

However, be aware that your vinyl decals on mugs or glasses are NOT always dishwasher safe (due to the high temps. of the drying cycle) -- they may be OK on top rack, but I've never tested this myself.

If you are going to craft shows, you might want to consider bringing along a supply of plate stands (good for plates and tiles) --

images-3c-20web1-250x250.jpg

Hey Mickie , Hey Mickie  ... :lol: 

I have Oracal 651 on cups that have went thru the dishwasher many times & stilll good . It depends on how hot your dishwasher heats the water .

Hmm, Good to know. I thought that would have to be heated or something. It's always good to not have to add more steps to complete a project. I always have the plate holders (easels) with us at shows. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to get my machine out of the box and setup. Thanks again and have a great weekend.