Norbs

So i'm stumped with the simplest task... (bezier curve)

Please give me some advice as i'm lost at this point and havent been able to google my way out of this...

Using Inkscape and SignBlazer, and/or SureCutsAlotPro, how in the world am i supposed to make a curved rectangle?

I'm trying to create a windshield banner for a vehicle that will need a curve added to leave it straight once its applied to the window. I've somewhat figured out how to make a bezier curve, and i'm sure i could turn it into a box, but i am unable to get it to become a cut.. i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Can someone maybe give me a play by play that can help me a step forward? 

Basic idea would be to have a 7" high by 55" wide banner that has a "drop" of 1.5-2" in the center. Can someone let me know how this can be accomplished? i've thought about making a box and adding a node to drag around, but i'm unsure how to do it the proper way, and be able to control the actual amounts of curvature i'm adding to the box.

Thanks in advance, 

-norb

I would suggest creating the texts, and then using the FOLLOW ARC command (Text menu).

Adjust the diameter of the circle in that Follow Arc dialogue box to provide the correct amount of "drop" (curvature) you'll want.

Slice...He didn't say he was curving text.  I am assuming he is making a sun visor,  Which he is referring to. as a curved rectangle.  I have made quite a few, I have never curved any of them.. Just a straight rectangle works fine. You just have to make it wider than you need it, and longer than your windshield.  Unless you really have another reason that you want it curved.. But this video will also show you how to contour cut it,after it has been  installed, it you really want it like that.    Like this.

In Inkscape, i would just use the rectangle tool, convert it to a path (path>object to path) click the node tool (icon below "arrow selector). Then just manipulate it by clicking and dragging any part around the perimeter to suit your needs and/or measurements.

post-7510-0-31381600-1356842231_thumb.pn

Excellent guys! I realize keeping them straight works just fine, I've done that. Few times, however some cars have enough of a curve where the outer edges are just too low once you get the center where you want it, so curving becomes more of a safety concern.

I haven't had any requests for text, but I will keep the advice in mind, but I think what JP posted is exactly what I was looking towards. I will have to play around with that today! Thanks guys. I will post a follow up today.

Thanks again!

I would create your rectangle and Size it how you want it

Use the Manipulate + Distortion + Arch to put the arc in it.

You can use the grid to judge how much arc you need by setting it to .5" grids.

http://screencast.com/t/upSfaDPVClY0

Jay