Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Choosing my first vinyl cutter, help needed

Hello all.  I've been lurking on this site for a bit now and am close to being ready to order a cutter.  I was originally set on buying a Silhouette Cameo, partially due to the cost, partially due to the ease of use.  

My main plan is to cut stencils for painting ammo cans and making window stickers.  I don't anticipate needing more than a 12" but you never know what the future holds.  

Looking at the refurbished cutters for sale here there are three other units in my price range:

25" USCutter LaserPoint II Vinyl Cutter 

25" USCutter SC Series Vinyl Cutter

34" USCutter MH Series

I do like the idea of a wider cut range as the vinyl I have read that is best for a paint mask starts at a 15" width so I'd have to find another solution if I bought the Cameo.

The other reason I was attracted to the Cameo is that my wife and daughter would like to use the cutter to do crafts, can you do craft style work on the USCutter machines?

Any thoughts/suggestions?  

Thanks,
Steve

Personally, having a cutter with a stand, is a must have. Some of those cutters have no stand.  You will regret that right away.

I think all three are about equal quality machines. The SC and Laser Point have contour cutting capabillity that you may not need now but like you said, who knows what the future holds. The MH is a little wider that may come in handy in the future also. Like Skeeter said, you will regret not getting one with a stand.

I personally have the 34" MH series that you mentioned above and I bought the stand for it too. For the price, you cant beat it! I love the machine. I honestly think the stand is a must have because it just makes life 10x easier. 

Personally, having a cutter with a stand, is a must have. Some of those cutters have no stand.  You will regret that right away.

What Carolyn said - you will regret it later if you don't get the stand

Thanks for all the replies, I can see how a stand would be helpful. Am I correct in assuming that all three of the US Cutter machines can cut the same material as the Cameo so my wife and daughter can also use it for scrap booking and crafts?

Yes, the larger cutters are more powerful than a Cameo,,  If cutting card stock or stuff like that, you will need to use a cutting mat, so you don't gouge up your teflon cutter strip though..

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go for something other than a Cameo to give me more options, I just need to see if I can buy a stand separate as all the refurbished units are without stands.

I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 24 inch cutter.  I purchased mine for small crafty things, but soon moved on to a lot of other types of projects.  I have created several 4x40 foot banners with my 24 inch cutter.  In addition, most of the vinyl materials are cheaper if you purchase in 24 inch rolls.  Also, if you move to heat press vinyl, that material is really best in the 15 inch widths. 

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go for something other than a Cameo to give me more options, I just need to see if I can buy a stand separate as all the refurbished units are without stands.

Compare the prices of a new machine and stand with a refurb cutter and stand sold separately.. and see which is the best deal.