trinitysportswear

Newbie needs help

I have an SC 25" cutter.  I have no problem cutting heat transfer vinyl and have done several orders.  But I want to do some decals and such and I am having trouble with my machine picking the vinyl out as it cuts therefore messing the design up.  I thought I read here to run slow and at minimal pressure (200mm/sec at 1gram of pressure) and I can't get it to work at those settings.  Would like to get some opinions and recommendations from experienced cutters!!  TIA 

1 gram of pressure is not enough. I would start at 90 and ajust up or down. Also make sure that your blade isn't out too far. Pull the holder out of the machine, run it across some scrap vinyl with medium pressure. It should cut through the vinyl and not the backing at all.

1 gram of pressure is not enough. I would start at 90 and ajust up or down. Also make sure that your blade isn't out too far. Pull the holder out of the machine, run it across some scrap vinyl with medium pressure. It should cut through the vinyl and not the backing at all.

The blade I know is not out too far.  We have it adjusted to about 1/2 a credit card width.  So more pressure is needed??  I would think it would pick out more??

1/2 a credit card is really too much.  Do as Jay2703 stated above.   Take the blade holder out of your machine and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. Adjust the blade to get there.  Put blade holder back in machine and use the force/pressure feature on your machine to get the same results.  You have a TEST feature on your machine to do this, so that you don't waste vinyl.

• Like 1

When I first started out this was a problem for myself as well. Following the advice above was a huge help and another thing was the actual blade itself. Try cleancut blades, it made a big difference for me.

I have the same machine, had the same problems cause I was also new...... do as they have said above.  Also, (I assume you are trying to cut some small detailed stuff)  this machine is not designed for small intricate stuff.  Make sure if your doing small detailed work to try a 60 deg blade instead of the recommended 45 deg blade, this will help.  I have my machine set to 100 on speed and 35 on pressure.  This setting seems to work best for me however, on very small detailed stuff I still get lifting.  (I am trying to use up my greenstar starter vinyl).  I also have better luck when I use oracle vinyl.  Most of all, CHECK YOUR BLADE DEPTH!

1/2 a credit card is really too much.  Do as Jay2703 stated above.   Take the blade holder out of your machine and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. Adjust the blade to get there.  Put blade holder back in machine and use the force/pressure feature on your machine to get the same results.  You have a TEST feature on your machine to do this, so that you don't waste vinyl.

Carolyn hit it right on the head p way too much blade at 1/ cc width - and like promise said a 60 degree cleancut will help a lot - remember though when you put the cleancut in to start with the blade in too far and back the pressure off at least 30-40 percent - if it cuts thru the backing to far (and it will) you will break a tip - being harder makes them brittle if punched thru to the strip - but it also make them last much much longer.  you will also find that better vinyls will have less of a tendency to do this.  cheaper house brands or off brands tend to not hold to the backing as well when weeding.