theishkid

USED FC-5100 or NEW CE-5000?

I'm looking to upgrade my Creation PCut in the next couple of months.

I can either buy a brand new CE-5000 24" from USCutter, or I might have the opportunity to purchase a very used FC-5100 30" from the sign shop I used to work at. 

There is nothing technically wrong with the FC-5100... It just has a lot of miles on it. The thing is a work horse and the only "problem" is that their designer has to keep replacing the cutting strip every four or five months. They have had the machine for about 6 years now and want a wider one.

I'm not printing anything so I don't really care about the contour cutting feature (as of now). The designer thinks the owner will want between $500 - $700 for it. So what do you think? Is it worth that much? Would you go with that one over a new CE-5000?

My main concern is getting something that doesn't limit me in size and content like the PCut, and getting something that cuts way nicer than the PCut so weeding is easier and cutting smaller things is possible.

Your thoughts?

Just to give you a better idea that FC5100 is close to 9 years old or older,  You can contact Graphtec as to when it was introduced.  I did find an ad where some one purchased one from Graphtec in 2003,  and the FC7000 was introduced in June/July/2005,  So, you might want to assume it is older than 6 years.  Unless it was a closeout and they purchased it new, Because the FC7000 was coming out.. Graphtec keeps their same models  for several years before upgrading to newer models.  Just giving some more info for your decision.   I have run my cutter for over 4 years and have never had to change my cutter strip, So don't know the problem there.. Abuse maybe? 

My guess it whoever used it had the blade sticking out way too far or ran it without vinyl in place.

Well I know he bought it new, but that still doesn't change how much it is used on a daily basis. So I take it you would go with the CE5000? Am I going to lose anything in quality of cuts? I don't really care about speed and really thick materials. I just don't want to spend 20 minutes weeding things out anymore like I do with the PCut. And I want to be able to cut larger projects than the PCut can handle before it runs out of memory.

Are you going to lose quality of cuts on the new CE5000-60?  Heck no.....I bought one for my son  earlier in the spring.  great machine.  many people on here own the CE5000-60.  And it has a great warranty..  There are several pictures on the forum, where people cut very small detailed designs, and put a dime beside it, to show how small.  All with the CE5000-60, 

Final question... am I going to see a big enough improvement to justify upgrading from the PCut? 

I purchased the CE5000-60 for my son, so he wouldn't even have to mess with a Chinese cutter.  Like I had to, starting out..He knew nothing about cutters,  I didn't want him frustrated from the git go. 

All you Graphtec CE5000 owners need to jump in here, and tell him how great your cutter is,,,

And you can run a Graphtec on USB with no problems

Mr300s upgraded from a Pcut to a GraphtecCE5000-60 several years ago, and couldn't be happier.  He is one, that posted a very detailed design done with his machine.

I bought a used ce5000-60 for $900 and it is like new. The kid needed money for school.

Then I bought a fc7000-100 thinking I would sell the 5000 but I cant let it go.

I had a PCut and I'm still not up to a Graphtec yet and I can tell you there is a world of difference between the PCut and my GCC cutter.  

(which is a few steps down from a Graphtec) Going from the stepper motors to the servo motors makes a world of difference in accuracy not to mention they are a lot quieter.

Holy cow that's awesomely small! Was that hard to weed?

By the way... has anyone heard news of a CE5000 upgrade yet? Who knows if it's real but there are a bunch of translated sites with news for the Graphtec CE6000 saying that it will launch the first week or two of January.

I had a PCut and I'm still not up to a Graphtec yet and I can tell you there is a world of difference between the PCut and my GCC cutter.  

(which is a few steps down from a Graphtec) Going from the stepper motors to the servo motors makes a world of difference in accuracy not to mention they are a lot quieter.

Is the Zen a relabebled GCC ? I read somewhere in here what the Zen actually was , but can't find it now .... I should have bought the 24" Zen black a month or so ago while it was on sale .

Holy cow that's awesomely small! Was that hard to weed?

By the way... has anyone heard news of a CE5000 upgrade yet? Who knows if it's real but there are a bunch of translated sites with news for the Graphtec CE6000 saying that it will launch the first week or two of January.

It was pretty easy after I found a magnifying glass.

I sure hope that your not planning on buying the Graphtec there,  I added it to my cart just to see the shipping cost and it added $1000.00 shipping, (and that was the only shipping option) for a total of  $2745.00 for a 24" cutter.   No way...

ya 1000 for next day air, I would say website is broken as no other option is available, I order from them weekly and most orders if called in is free shipping or it is super cheap

No way. I'm buying at USCutter. Just pointing out that more sites are starting to mention it. I won't even be upgrading for a couple of months anyway.

yes, it's about time for a CE6000   version anyway....... I wonder what the upgrade is between the 5000 and 6000,  other than more money...  And according to some stores like Coastal.  they already have them

When they did the upgrade between the FC 7000  and 8000,  I don't see a major difference, other than color and $1200 higher...

Is the Zen a relabebled GCC ? I read somewhere in here what the Zen actually was , but can't find it now .... I should have bought the 24" Zen black a month or so ago while it was on sale .

It sure is. I bought my zencut black about a little over a year ago and I love it to death. The detail I get from it is amazing and would recommend picking one up on sale or not.