Sign in to follow this  
Brown23

Need Help Cutting Tint.....

Newbie here and I just received my US cutter. I have been testing around and it seems that I can cut and weed the supplied vinyl with no problem. I bought it to cut Tint, so when I loaded it up it is when I had my problems. For those of you that cut Tint, please provide some ideas or suggestions on what could be wrong and how to fix it.

1. When the tint is fed back and forth, it starts to bunch up and eventually tear. I presumed this is because the tint is so much thinner. My temporary fix was to lay the tint ON TOP of a sheet of vinyl. This gives it some stability, but its not perfect and doesnt seem this is the proper way to do this.... The roller tension screws are fully loosened, and it still grips very tight, even leaving impressions in the tint....

2. It seems cuts far away from eah other are more liklely to cut successfully, for example a window outline. However when I am cutting a design or graphic, the close cuts start ripping the tint and ruining the entire run..... What can be done? Is this because the blade is too deep?

3. When you weed the tint, does it need to be applied to a "work space" so the non-weeding parts dont come up?

4. Im also having trouble getting the blade depth correct because tint is so thin. How important is the force? Any recs?

Does this boil down to the tint itself? Does only tint of a certain thickness work with cutters? Thanks to All who help.

With any thing you are cutting, you need to check the blade depth, when changing thickness.  Take the blade holder out of the machine, firmly cut across a piece of scrap tint. You should only be cutting the tint, and barely a mark on the backing, adjust to get there. But the blade holder back in the machine, and use your force on  your cutter to get the same results.

You will probably have to slow your cutter way down,  On your cutter, , but make sure your pinch rollers are directly over the grit rollers.  

Isn't it true that it also takes a special cutter for cutting tint?  If that is the case, does he have the right cutter?