slice&dice

Post & Panel --- Replacement for sign damaged by Sandy

Here's the new sign for my studio, replaces the previous one that was torn asunder by Frankenstorm.

4' x 5' diBond (MaxMetal) --  green on one side, blue on the other.

post-21408-0-71435400-1355512030_thumb.j

• Like 1

$500. rent ($600 including utilities).

In Baltimore County.

My shop is a little way out beyond the main "commercial" area, but because it's located all by itself, it is highly visible and there's a ton of flowing traffic going by that sees me.

My neighbors are these guys ---

post-21408-0-58466600-1355578352_thumb.j

post-21408-0-08335100-1355578362_thumb.j

• Like 2

The store is fairly small, only around 500 sq.ft.

My main 4x8 worktable is utilized for dropping vinyl onto substrates, and I have a side-area that's 4x7 (for weeding & taping) and if need be, I can place these two tables end to end, creating a full 15' long surface.

You can never have enough space when doing banners and signs!

post-21408-0-60228100-1355621606_thumb.j

post-21408-0-96350800-1355621611_thumb.j

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for sharing pics of your space!  500 sq ft is a good size for your shop.  I am hung on the fact that I need to have at least a 10' long by 4' wide table for whenever i find myself a space.  There is a 1200 sq ft shop with a 8x10 roll up door without utilities for $600 here, but that is kinda scary to take that on as a beginner!!   

For applying vinyl on the substrate and banners I have 2x6s against one wall on about a 30 degree angle with 1.25 holes that I can insert dowels into I have the holes spaced at 1 foot increments vertical and can adjust to the best working height and spread them along the wall for different lenths of signs/banners .

For applying vinyl on the substrate and banners I have 2x6s against one wall on about a 30 degree angle with 1.25 holes that I can insert dowels into I have the holes spaced at 1 foot increments vertical and can adjust to the best working height and spread them along the wall for different lenths of signs/banners .

Can you post a picture of this setup?  I'm not sure I understand the configuration.

WWBSOL ---

"There is a 1200 sq ft shop with a 8x10 roll up door without utilities for $600 here, but that is kinda scary to take that on as a beginner!!"

Just remember, new clients are not aware you are a beginner! They'll come in, asking for their work to be completed, and most of the time, you will have the capability and the knowledge to do it, even as a novice. Trust me, that's been my experience, and I have a loooooong client list over the past 16 months, all of whom appreciated dealing with me in this little shop.

I agree Slice, I just dont want to look foolish is all if I do something wrong from the get, ya know?  I dont mind taking someones logo and cutting it for their vehicle, but its a whole new ball game making a store front sign.  Dan for example makes sign making look way too easy.. lol

I agree Slice, I just dont want to look foolish is all if I do something wrong from the get, ya know?  I dont mind taking someones logo and cutting it for their vehicle, but its a whole new ball game making a store front sign.  Dan for example makes sign making look way too easy.. lol

I live in a very small town  of about 5000 people.  I only do online orders and stay busy all the time.  So, if you make a screw up, you do it in the privacy of my own room.  LOL  No matter what you do, it is best to have a niche'.  Something nobody else is doing,  That drives business.  Don't do what everybody else is doing..

• Like 1

I agree Skeeter, I am working on my niche now ;-)  I also live in a small town.  My town is 15k with the college kids and about 10k without.  There are 2, maybe 3 local sign shops here with more down the road.  I am continually amazed that sign shops stay in business because to me, it seems you can only make one sign that lasts for years before needing to be replaced, ya know?

• Like 1

Here's the new sign for my studio, replaces the previous one that was torn asunder by Frankenstorm.

4' x 5' diBond (MaxMetal) --  green on one side, blue on the other.

Dumb question I suppose, but why is there a 4x4 post on one side, and a 2x4 on the other?

On one side is actually a 6x6 that was already there when I took over the property.

I had a scrap two-by-four laying around, so I used that for the other side ---- it's just me being lazy.

Maybe one day when I feel ambitious, I'll go out and buy a 6x6x10' and replace that skinny post!

• Like 1

I noticed that also , but thought it may have been part of the " custom " options offered .....

• Like 4

Sheesh, I was hoping to avoid having to take a trip to 84 LUMBER, but it looks like I'll have to do so now, just for satisfying the pedantics among you!   B)

Sheesh, I was hoping to avoid having to take a trip to 84 LUMBER, but it looks like I'll have to do so now, just for satisfying the pedantics among you!   B)

hahahahahaha - sorry!

As much as that jumps out ( Ronnie Milsap called me & told me about it !!! ) , noticing it does not qualify as being pedantic at all . Especially thinking of your demeanor in other threads asking if newbies had extensive graphic teachings etc ( or something to that effect ) . I surely thought you had done that purposfully as advertisement for " custom " work . I never " look down my nose " at anybody ... there are plenty of others doing that already . B)

That is hilarious & I figured many would not know who Ronnie is . Old sayings ... " Even Ray Charles can see that " etc . Ronnie Milsap is a blind singer as was Ray Charles . With Ray passing , I don't use deceased names in jest . My opinion about things on signs like the 2x4.... anything that makes a person look twice makes the sign effective . Signs are " artwork ' to the makers , but a tool for the people using them . Anything that catches the eye that does not look bad results in a positive outcome .

Anything that catches the eye that does not look bad results in a positive outcome .

Not if if keeps you from seeing the message that was intended. I have seen many commercials that I will never forget but can't tell you what the product was.

Ah-Ha!  You got me there!

Now you guys have me scratching my head & I don't know what is the best course of action -- leave it as an anomaly, or go with the 6x6.

I will say this, the cost of a pressure-treated 6x6 will set me back around twenty-five bucks, and I'll have to let it dry out a month or so before painting. Of course, in a month from now, the ground will be frozen and I'll be unable to dig the hole.

frozen-tundra-200x200.jpg

I honestly don't think most people will even notice. Hopefully too busy reading the sign instead.

@ Jay ... At least you remembered something , which is better than nothing IMO .

@ Slice , If it bothers you , I would add wood on the side to make it geometric .