Sign in to follow this  
JHew84

Can an MH-871 cut magnet sheets?

I wasn't sure if it was able to cut through stuff that thick, or if it was bad for the cutter, so I thought I'd check before going through with it. I'm assuming I'll need to pick up some 60deg blades as well. I did a little searching but couldn't come up with the answers I was looking for.

Basically I want to make some number plates for a car and it would be nice to have the cutter produce nice clean lines versus doing it by hand.

Thanks.

All you need to do with magnets is score the top of the and it will break along the score line. You don't want to try to cut all the way through. I don't think I would put a full roll on but if it's a smaller piece you want to cut I don't think it would be a problem. If you are just trying to round corners for a door magnet, I would do that by hand.

• Like 1

All you need to do with magnets is score the top of the and it will break along the score line. You don't want to try to cut all the way through. I don't think I would put a full roll on but if it's a smaller piece you want to cut I don't think it would be a problem. If you are just trying to round corners for a door magnet, I would do that by hand.

I spent a considerable amount of time testing just this thing. Jay is right. It is very hard if not impossible to cut all the way through. But very easy just to score..and either break or finish the cut with an exacto. The only damage you will do is to the blade....and a cheap $2 blade does just as well as the expensive ones for this purpose. Also, as Jay suggested, do not attempt it with a full roll.

• Like 1

You do not need to cut all the way thru the magnetic material. You can cut thru it about 1/2 way to score it like Jay said. You can then bend it at the scoring a few times and it will break

right off. I have done quite a few magnets and it works very well. You of course will have to bump up your pressure quite a bit, have a lot of blade exposed and cut as slow as your machine

will go. It will take some experimenting to get it just right. Here is a picture of some magnetic numbers that I did in the past.

post-4069-0-58425300-1355081831.jpg

• Like 1

I could produce them by hand but it's time consuming, if the cutter is capable I'd rather go that route. Thanks for the advice everyone! I do seem to remember not having to cut all the way through the set of magnets I did for my car a couple years ago by hand. I'll play around with it a little bit but it's nice to have a starting point with the slow speed and high pressure.

I don't plan on using a whole roll, but I will be making magnets that are probably as big as 24"x24" to fit the number and class large enough to be seen well.

By all means, come back and tell us how it worked out, and show what the final result looks like.

• Like 1

Will do!

If it was just for me I probably wouldn't waste the time setting stuff up but I have a few people who want number plates for their cars. So being able to knockout a handful of them all at once will be nice.