shakiroin

MH Series Vs SC Series

Hi,

I just want to write down a few differences between those cutters since I've been looking for specific information all over the web and

haven't been able to find It. Hope this info helps someone.

I've been on the signs field for about 20 years, I have used Gerber, Roland, SSK, and Zumd flatbed vinyl cutter. I currently have a small Vinyl Express R31 and has worked fine for me for the last year with no problems. On a side note, My computer fried and I found out how important back up equipment is. Fortunately I could solve my computer issue with 2 old computers I had untill I could get a new machine. Now I have decided to have a back up vinyl cutter and went ahead and ordered the MH 34" from USCutter, just to give it a try.

The Plotter worked fine except for a problem i think is motherboard related. It was cutting bigger than what was supposed to, I spent almost 3 days trying to set it up and make it work with Flexi Sign. "Definitely use the Serial COM port connection" instead of usb, it will save you time and headaches. But the problem persisted and the plotter was still cutting a different size than the one it was told.

US Cutter Tech support helped me anytime I needed it, at the end they gave me the option of either return it and exchanged for the same plotter or upgrade to the next one up which is the SC, of course I will have to pay the $110 difference. My question was, What will i get for $100 more ? I even liked the color of the MH better, well I finally went for the SC after going back and forth with the US cutter agents. After I formulated my question one of them told me that the only difference was the countour cut function, but that it was manual and they didn't supported, other rep told me that he will recommend the upgrade. At the end I decided to give it a shot and order the SC.

To start with, the SC is a more sturdy machine, the MH wiggles and the construction and the finish is is cheap. I may suggest to compare a MH(Hunday) and a SC(Toyota), still not a BMW (gerber or roland). You really can't judge by the pics on the site, but believe me, SC is a better built machine, I like the the way the pinch roller levers easily slide on the body to hold the vinyl, they kind of stuck on the MH, and the motor makes less noise (not a servo, still noisy). You will find a little hard to tight up the casters to the base but a regular wrench will do it. The red line you see on the pics is just a guide to insert your blade and cut the vinyl. I personally use a Envelope opener for this purpose. The casters are bigger and the equipment slides easily on the floor than the MH with the cheap small casters. It took me 1 hour to put it the SC together and make it work with flexi. I havent cut any big jobs yet but it passed al my cuts and penplots tests with no problems, I also notice this plotter is a little taller than the MH and has guides for lining up the vinyl on the front and the back, and since the body is attached with the screw legs to the stand (insted of just resting on the base MH), you won't need a ground wire as on the MH model. The rolers that support the vinyl roll are Bigger and have better bearings. Over all I'm happy with this machine is worth the extra $100 easily. Only think missing for me will be a media basket (plannnig on building one myself) but I know some people consider this useless.

I'll like to add that the MH won't advance after plot with Flexi, It will just stop where it ends cutting and you will have to reset the machine, the SC does advance and will get u ready for the next cut.

Edited by shakiroin

Great review, I never consider my Media basket useless.. That is what made my final decision on buying a Graphtec FC7000 Mk-75 over a Roland

The stand and media basket are standard equipment on the Graphtec.. You have to purchase these items for a Roland. I have never regretted buying my Graphtec.

But great review between MH and SC model.. I am sure you will be much happier with the SC. It is highly advised to put it on a serial cable or keyspan adapter also. .

After a few weeks of bumpng into the media basket I got rid of it. I guess if you have plenty of room, it wouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies; I would like to keep focus on the topic about the 2 different series MH vs SC. That's the reason why I wrote the review, for some reason we have the tendency to mix up topics and at the end the last comment is about ufo's :mellow:

I have mentioned this several times in various threads ----

The SC has a flaw in the set-screw position of the far-right pressure roller.

If you slide it all the way to the right, where the set-screw is located to stop it, the pinch-roller will actually MISS (be over too far, beyond) the lower grit roller.

I fixed this myself by drilling a new hole and moving the set-screw.

That being said, I feel the SC is a nice unit overall, and certainly is my main workhorse in the sign store.

post-21408-0-45299100-1355029674.jpg

After a few weeks of bumpng into the media basket I got rid of it. I guess if you have plenty of room, it wouldn't be a problem.

My media basket slides into it's self, toward the machine, when not in use. Front and back.. And is not in my way when using. I am used to it being there, I work in an average size bedroom.

i am sold. thank you very much!!!! the SC is only 60$ more, 110$ if you want the stand. the fact that it comes with a one year warranty also is nice, rather then the 90 day warranty with the MH.

I was on the fence as well so thank you for the detailed review.  I'm set on getting the SC.  Now I just need to get my end of year bonus, should be any day now, then I can order!!

Thanks for your replies; I would like to keep focus on the topic about the 2 different series MH vs SC. That's the reason why I wrote the review, for some reason we have the tendency to mix up topics and at the end the last comment is about ufo's :mellow:

I am absolutely sure I saw a UFO 1 time . I shook my head & my buddy standing right beside me asked if I seen that also . It is naive to think that we humans are the only or the highest form of intelligence IMO . I guess even mentioning UFOs demonstrates a belief in them .....