Sign in to follow this  
NateL

Use a sharpie to print your mockups!

We frequently print off some mockups on plotter paper with the provided Pen that came with our cutter. The pen would frequently go out, and looking at designs from a distance, you couldn't see the lines very well.

One day, I was tracing the pen lines with a sharpie and thunk...why not just put the sharpie in the cutter? Works like a charm!! Had to take some masking tape and wrap a few layers around the base of the pen, but it makes things much easier.

post-26173-0-10308600-1354831982.jpg

post-26173-0-96971100-1354832107.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for reminding me, I've seen that mentioned elsewhere and have been meaning to try it. I'm a HUGE believer in Sharpie pens. On some of the Commercial Electrical jobs I've worked in the past, if your toolbag didn't incude fresh Black, Red, Blue, & Green Sharpies, you were slowing things down.

I guess it's best to slow the plotter down quite a bit, in order to give the pen time to replenish the tip with ink?

Oh yeah... makes sense. I'm actually going to try 3M Electrical Tape (since I have a lot of it around). The grip is virtually 100% compared to Masking Tape (which is designed to "let go").

Regardless, thanks for the great heads-up idea.

Take care, Mark

Oh, but 1 more thing I wanted to say about plotter pens, because I love their "old fashioned" effect. I keep them sealed, vertically (point down), then before use, I scribble all over a piece of waste paper to be sure the pen is truly "primed". Don't worry about wasting ink, your overall drawing is way-more important. A touch of heat from a Bic Lighter may help it along, but get a new one/set tomorrow.

The whole idea for me is in great presentation to a potential client; but the artwork/fun of it is what keeps bringing me back to it.

is that cutter the TC SERIES from USCutter???

Yes, it is!

been doing that for years

I searched for "sharpie" and "marker" wondering if anyone already posted the tip...got nothin so I figured I'd post away :)

Oh, but 1 more thing I wanted to say about plotter pens, because I love their "old fashioned" effect. I keep them sealed, vertically (point down), then before use, I scribble all over a piece of waste paper to be sure the pen is truly "primed". Don't worry about wasting ink, your overall drawing is way-more important. A touch of heat from a Bic Lighter may help it along, but get a new one/set tomorrow.

The whole idea for me is in great presentation to a potential client; but the artwork/fun of it is what keeps bringing me back to it.

Yeah I always scribbled on a blank sheet before loading it up, but lately it's been going in and out. I will try keeping it sealed and straight up to see if that helps :)

backing off on the pressure is a good idea too along with slowing it down. might get more life from the tip

they are a great fit for the MH, no tape needed. going to brush up on the lathing skills and make a ferrel for them for the LP

freedompaper.com is a good source for roll media

oh yes i love using the pen, or sharpies, great for testing before cutting. I bought   a big 20 pack of pens that the ink tube is small and fits in the cutter pen that came with the cutter.