Sign in to follow this  
brandenholder

LaserPoint II Roller Problems

Hey everyone,

So I finally got my LaserPoint II cutter set up and my Mac recognizes the USB port just fine from SignCut Pro. I can adjust the knife settings from SCP using the arrow keys and the cutting preview looks spot on when I animate it from the preview window. Everything should be good on the USB port communication front.

I thought everything was alright, so I started the cut this morning and once the machine started up, I noticed that the cutting blade was rotating as it should (in the shape of the design), but it was just cutting a jagged straight line across the edge of my vinyl (15" white Thermoflex Plus). When I looked at the cutter more closely, I saw that the grit rollers at the bottom of my machine were rotating, but the vinyl was not moving back and forth at all.

So the cutting head is moving correctly based on the design I was cutting out, but since the vinyl was not being moved by the grit rollers, the cutting blade kept cutting the same row as it moved left to right (hence the jagged straight cut). I then tested the vinyl feed from the cut preview window in SCP (so I didn't waste anymore vinyl) and the grit rollers are moving while the vinyl just stays in one place.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I think it's just a matter of the grit rollers needing to be adjusted so that they allow the vinyl to move back and forth easily, but since the operator's manual is less than helpful I figured I'd post a shout-out here for all of your expertise. (I also have a support ticket submitted, but I need to get this project done and support doesn't reply until Mondays).

Thank you in advance.

What does that mean, I can adjust the knife settings from SCP? Are you referring to blade offset?

First off, did you set the blade depth correctly? You can do that that by taking the blade holder out of the machine and in your hand firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there. Put blade holder back in machine and use the force of the machine to get the same results. Do test cuts using your machine test function. Only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on the wax paper backing.

Make sure the carriage head wheels are firmly in the track

Did you lower the pinch rollers to hold the vinyl? And take a look at the pinch rollers, and make sure they are each directly over the grit roller below. Use the arrow buttons on the machine and prefeed your vinyl. You can see if the vinyl is moving correctly then.

Make sure you have enough vinyl pulled free from the roll to do the job. You should never be pulling directly from the vinyl roll.

• Like 1

By adjusting the knife setting, I guess I should have said instead that I can move the cutting blade using my computer's arrow keys to measure the length of the vinyl I'm using. (Words escape me at times, sorry for any confusion) To me, that indicates that my computer and the cutter are communicating just fine...that's the main reason I mentioned that part.

I did not know that the pinch rollers were supposed to be directly above the grit rollers.

Thank you very much for your other tips and recommendations. I will test them out tonight when I am back at the cutter to see what happens.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Yes, your pinch rollers should be holding the vinyl down, to be able to move the vinyl. And the pinch rollers have to be over the grits roller to be able to do that. Your should not practice with expensive vinyl. I hope you have some regular vinyl to work with, to get your cutter set up correctly. Your vinyl cutter has to be fine turned in, before cutting any design. That is why there is a test feature on your vinyl cutter.

Yes, your pinch rollers should be holding the vinyl down, to be able to move the vinyl. And the pinch rollers have to be over the grits roller to be able to do that. Your should not practice with expensive vinyl. I hope you have some regular vinyl to work with, to get your cutter set up correctly. Your vinyl cutter has to be fine turned in, before cutting any design. That is why there is a test feature on your vinyl cutter.

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!! (Not to mention a stress saver) The grip/pinch roller predicament was the issue...spot on. My vinyl fed through just fine and the cuts came out extraordinarily clean. Thank you so much!

• Like 1