Mario

beer mug

I just made 15 of these beer mugs for a soccer club. They gave me a logo and I etched it into this mug for them.

post-13684-0-62217800-1354242498.jpg

• Like 1

Based on the way these look, I'd say they were done with a coarse grain, around an 80-90 grit media?

The coarser the grit, the faster it etches and the grainier the final etch will look. Super fine media, like the 200 grit AO that an air eraser uses will produce a very smooth etch that looks identical to that produced with a chemical glass etching creme. They leave a texture that feels like very high grit sandpaper and it is very succeptible to oily/greasy fingerprints. A coarser etching leaves a texture more like fine sandpaper - it does not easily show oily fingerprints and is more visible under a variety of lighting conditions.

Wow, sincerely, I consider that a work of art. Excellent photography as well. I saved your photo for later inspiration, and as an example of what I'd be looking for.

2 more questions, then I'll hush.

Did you have to skew the artwork to account for the taper of the mug?

Did you weed the vinyl prior to, or after, applying it? I can see where it might be more advantageous to wait until after. Your job is so sharp I had to ask.

Thanks.

Generally, beer mugs don't taper, so no, you don't have to skew. However.... if you're doing glass tumblers, martini glasses, etc. then you do need to account for the tapering and slightly curve the design to match the taper, then it will look straight when applied. On curved glasses, like Pilsner and wine glasses, then you usually need to make relief cuts in the vinyl to get it to lay flat, then apply tape or vinyl over the relief cuts. If you stick with beer mugs and coffee mugs, then you don't need to do anything fancy. You can buy most types of glasses at the Dollar Tree and other dollar stores - their beer mugs are excellent quality and I've sold quite a few with no complaints. Wal-Mart stocks even larger beer mugs for only a few dollars each, if your customer wants something even bigger.

Depends on personal preference - I always do it first, especially intricate stuff - it's easier to pick off of a release liner than it is off of glass - once it's stuck down it can be a pain to lift it back off without stretching or damaging it. I have however seen numerous people who prefer to weed/pick after applying.

Cool, thanks OWJones... guess in the end I need to "invest" and play with all this. My brain still only seems to function in flat or beveled aspects of the same.