Sign in to follow this  
speleopower

3M Scotchcal Marking Film

A friend of mine gave me a 6" wide roll of maybe 100 yards of black Scotchcal Marking Film. I think it is pretty old. Who has used it? The stuff I have seems to have very little tack to it.

-Scott

Never used it but did a quick internet search and it is short to medium term removable sign vinyl, which would explain is why there isn't much tack to it, so I guess it would be comparable to Oracal 631.

It is also designed with a stiffness that one might equate with aging vinyl. I know of at least one worldwide company that uses it this time of year for temporary ICC printed placard to mark seasonal rental delivery vehicles. In another four weeks it'll still be easy to peel off all in one piece. I imagine they use a sublimation ink to print on it, but not certain.

Yes it does seem to be "aged". I can actually rip it and the backing paper quite easily. Plus it does not seem to stick very well. My friend plucked it out of a garbage can at NASA. They are decommissioning a lot of the buildings at the Space Center and he said they are throwing so much stuff away it would make you puke. He said they have to throw away like racks of Snap On tools at a time. All just wasted.

but yet the government is asking to raise the dept ceiling, raise taxes and not make cuts because they do not think there is any waste or places to cut expenses... hell, they should have a huge garage sale.... that would should cover the tax increase they are after.

Yup I agree to much waste! My buddy told me he would be a jerk and bring me 100 pairs of scissors because I asked if he could get one to cut fiberglass cloth. Well I now have nearly 100 pairs of scissors......

My son worked at a factory that made motor homes , campers, 5th wheels, in northern part of Indiana. If an item was old model, say a DVD player, walls, doors, appliances, anything, that was not the current model of right now, maybe even it was last weeks model. They had to take all the skids of those materials and crush them. Nobody could have them. I thought,, what a waste. But that was the contract they had with vendors. They could not resell or give them away. I thought wow, a lot of families or Salvation Army type could have really used that stuff. Or Habitat for Humanity.. Nope.. got crushed..

yup disgusting amount of waste. During the building boom a few years ago my Dad would go dumpster diving all around the area. He picked up thousands and thousands of dollars worth of materials, tools, parts etc. Many just needed a simple quick fix or adjustment and whatever it was was fixed. He must have made nearly $1000 a month just by dumpster diving a couple hours a day and then having a garage sale. Plus we now have hundreds of tools, materials and parts that we kept.

-Scott