twistedmonkeydesigns

laserpoint II with sure cuts alot pro contour cutting help

Wow.  I was asking for a how-to on a cutter they sell (Laserpoint II) and software they sell (SCALP).  I don't feel I was asking too much.

Was not trying to be rude.  My son's Graphtec which was purchased from USCUTTER is supported thru Graphtec.  His Flexistarter10 is Supported thru SAI... Those companies know more about those items then anybody..      Craftedge is constantly working on the SCALP,  many, many upgrades.  The Uscutter team has no clue what they do on these upgrades.They are not software techs for Craftedge.com   This software is still a work in progress thru Craftedge.com   and will be for quite a while.    Even Signblazer was never supported after the owner passed, even though it was bundled with the cutters.  Signcut is supported thru Signcut.com  It has contour cutting...why not try it, if you want to contour cut..?

A little more home work. before your purchase, you could have purchased Flexistarter10, which will contour cut on most ANY vinyl cutter.  You don't need a laser at all.  It registers from the blade in the middle of the registration mark. It has interactive software that controls the contour cut.  Can be had for under $130 on big auction site. 

When you make all your purchases from Walmart...  are they training you and giving you support for your items?   No...  Many expensive items there. A whole lot more than your vinyl cutter.  You walk out the door with it and call GE,  Samsung.., Sony, Toshiba.   etc.  

Wow.  I was asking for a how-to on a cutter they sell (Laserpoint II) and software they sell (SCALP).  I don't feel I was asking too much.

you will find they are in the business of selling the cutters - not training people in their use.  They state clearly that they don't offer support for the contour cutting on this cutter - nor is the laserpoints really a contour solution that is susbstatially different from contour cutting with any cutter without auto registration sensors - the lights are a gimmick that sells "value" cutters - 

If you want training and support you would buy from a local roland dealer that offers classes on the use.  You will pay for those services but then again you get what you pay for - in this case you bought from a discount seller that doesn't offer training on use

Like skeeter said - craft edge provides support for their own software.  I don't call hp for support on using photoshop.

I'm sorry. Let me clarify.  I called asking for direction with my SC/SCALP problem.  He indicated that while it wasn't directly supported, I could do a specific term search on YouTube and could find what I was looking for.  Having done that specific search and getting no relevant results,  I asked for a specific URL assuming he was already looking at it.  He wouldn't provide it.   I asked for directions for a LPII/SCALP.  He informed me I didn't have the appropriate support level to get that information (indicating the information is available, just not to me).  Not sure how directions on how to do something with a specific device/software is a secret.  The whole conversation just left a bad taste in my mouth.  

I'm not trying to bash USCutter here.  I have gotten excellent support from them every other time and I'm sure they will come through for me in future calls.  Everyone has an off day.  I figure if I do a good video with instructions, they can post it on their site and mebby even "Officially" support the feature.  It works and it works good using the SC and SCALP.

P.S.  I did open a support ticket with CraftEdge and have not received a response to date.

wow  - sol told you to search but wouldn't say exactly where that was - I got nothin

Craftedge.com   does have their own forum..  and a SECTION for PRINT and CUT 

I can't post it here. but it is on their website.

Mz SKEETER.  That video is useless for SCALP.  None of their value cutters come with SignCut.  Once I figured out that contour cutting in SCALP was called "PRINT AND CUT" it became a relatively easy process to figure it out from there.  The wizard they have makes it brain dead simple...

Mz SKEETER.  That video is useless for SCALP.  None of their value cutters come with SignCut.  Once I figured out that contour cutting in SCALP was called "PRINT AND CUT" it became a relatively easy process to figure it out from there.  The wizard they have makes it brain dead simple...

UScutter must have stopped sending it then   ALL cutters were sent with a FREE 1 year license for Signcut..   The license code was sent in an email confirmation with your order, or on your package list.   That is why there is a MAJOR Thread here for Signcut....Especially for people who use MAC,,, because Signblazer was not Mac compatible.  I have not heard of them not sending a  FREE 1 year license for Signcut any more. That is why I was referring to it...  Maybe this new company that took over Jan1, 2013 is not doing that any more.

That is why all of their set up info has it ,and still does. 

http://start.uscutter.com/mh/cutter/software/7

Oh, they still sell all those versions, but only SCALP comes with the cutters for free (value cutters that is).  Doesn't really matter anymore.  I'm actually tempted to purchase FlexiStarter cloud version.  Seems to have a lot of features that are better than SCALP.  But that's a topic for another thread.... :-)

After many hours of practicing, I have found with SCALP you have to set the laser values at zero on the edit values. Then just use the blade as a set point. I am running my program in pen mode, and now I get a perfect cut every time. How simple is that, but craft edge could not even tell me that. Now they will not even answer any of my emails I send them. Seems like they are only interested in selling the software, and don't care if people learn to use it or not. I am sorry, but it just is beyond me on how they can develop software, but can not tell you how to fix your problem, or even put out a book on how to set it up. Corel Draw, Photoshop, and many others have a book as thick as a Bible to show you how to set up their programs. I know, look at the cost, well if the program does you no good, then how much is it worth? Again, sorry to be so bitter, but I believe these people are just out for the quick buck, and don"t care if people make it work or not, they believe in the old theory that silence is golden, and I will just not communicate with these people.

• Like 1

You are correct about the zero values.  The key to using the SC for contour cutting is calibrating the laser point positioning as demonstrated in this video: 

.  Once you do that, it works great.

Now how hard would it be to make a video showing how to set up scalp with a laserpoint like that? Maybe half hour or so. Think I will work on a video, and  I only have one arm.

I don't have the laser on my LP1 and don't even know how to turn on the laser on the LP2 I just set laser offset to zero and use blade centerpoint. I can get SUPER close on alignment this way. Haven't tried contour in flexi starter yet but hope to get the time in the next week or so to compare the 2. If I like that the only use I see for scalp is the trace function and maybe a coaster for my drink.

The laserlight should come on automatically when you turn the machine on, but as I said, it is useless. As far as the SCALP, I like the program, although the signcut pro was really nice, but could not see the price for it. I am just a small ministry with only 45 children in it, but the cost of keeping it up is terrible, but I want these kids to learn a trade for the future, and this is something I have taken up since I had my stroke 6 years ago. All of you people are so helpful, whether you know it or not. I have been able to figure out the program, and it works great. The kids are happy, and so am I If we could afford it, we would get the sign cut pro, but that may be at a later time. God Bless all of you.

ON my laserpoint 2 I have to manually turn on the laser, on the LP 1 it was always I before I broke it.

ON my laserpoint 2 I have to manually turn on the laser,...

Same with the SC.  Once you get it calibrated, using it is easier than trying to line up the blade.

Yeah but that blade point is smaller than the laser dot which allows for more precision using the blade even though the laser is definitely faster.

I am sure the laser is faster, but I have no problem using the blade, I just push it down on the paper, and it makes a little hole that I can see, then I just adjust the cutter to the dot on the registration mark. It IS more precise. By the way, does anyone know wher I can buy a cutting mat, or carrier paper to put under the paper, as sometimes the marks are out too far for my cutter and the paper falls out. 

Do you have any kraft paper or scrap vinyl large enough to tape you paper in the center of. I use the backing off of vinyl and tape my paper to the paper side of the backing with enough room around my paper so it doesn't shoot out while cutting

I was reusing that for dark transfers until I got siser mask. Siser has a little more tack.

yeh, was just trying to think of something he might already have laying around

Got ya. I just use the back of vinyl doesn't need to be scrap because it won't hurt the vinyl any. But I don't use tape anymore I found a couple cans of low tack spray adhesive from when I wan screening and it holds the paper in place perfect and lifts right off afterwards.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan to me. Will get some low tack spray and us a piece of tee shirt vinyl. That will probably work just fine. Thanks guys. Love this forum.