twocents

Problems w Graphtec Very choppy, horrible cuts :(

Hi Guys, I am going crazy with my vinyl cutter, Graphtec mk3000. I keep getting these really choppy cuts, and it will lift parts of the vinyl and cut through and it is just been a nightmare. I put brand new blades, and today I took it apart somewhat, cleaned the little wheels on top and did the best I could to clean it up without taking it entirely apart. It starts to cut good, and before the 2nd or 3rd sticker I get this mess. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here, or could it be the blade holder need replacing?

I attached 2 pics of what is going on with the vinyl

Any help would be madly appreciated!

If you look at the strip under the blade, is it at all scratched or chewed up? Also if you're lifting vinyl, the pressure is probably too high or the blade is sticking.

Try lubricating the blade with some 3 in 1 or dry graphite to make sure the blade is rotating inside the holder. Also, with the age of the cutter, the blade holder could possibly be bad and worn out.

Using my machines, the pressure is often between 11-15 depending on thickness of the media. I can run as fast as I like without issue. Slower for smaller detail of course.

OK let me try the oil, just drop it right in where the blade goes? The blades are brand new, but they are cheap, not from Graphtec, but I have used them before without problems. The cutting mat does have a few scratches but I dont think it is too bad. I tried to attach a few pics but they dont seem to be loading correctly. Thanks very much for your help :)

And I have it on 16, I usually go around 14 or so but the test cut it was sticking so I had to turn it up a little more than usual.

what do you have the blade offset at? What cutting software are you using?

With vinyl lifting, you could have too much blade exposed.

I have the FC7000MK-75 and have never had to cut at force 16 for regular vinyl. Mine is at 11-12 force.

I always cut slower, lol,, so I can read all the stuff in the forum and answer questions.

The 3-1 seemed to have worked wonders, but still a bit choppy. These are designs Ive used before too with no problem so I know something is still wrong. What should the offset be set to?

have you made real sure that there is no bit of scrap vinyl in the blade holder? It doesn't take a big piece to mess things up.

Yes I checked that right away, nothing there, Im thinking maybe the blade holder, or the blades being after market perhaps? Thanks so much for the help, just w the oil alone it is working much better :)

Yes I checked that right away, nothing there, Im thinking maybe the blade holder, or the blades being after market perhaps? Thanks so much for the help, just w the oil alone it is working much better :)

I have always used aftermarket blades.. I have owned my Graphtec since 2008. Never any problems. But maybe get some different blades. I will PM you where I get mine... Your welcome.

It's amazing what a few nicks int he cutting strip will do to make cuts not come out right - the CE3000 - is almost exactly like the ce5000 that is sold today. I have owned several of both and the only difference is the non MK2 version of the ce3000 doesn't have the optical eye for contour cutting. make sure you don't have any scraps in the blade holder also. If you want to try new blade holders the ebay cheap holders work great - I use them for my reflective blade and on my printer cutter I have different ones set up for different lam/ non lam so I don't adjust I just put a holder in already set for that material. On the blades I only use cleancut blades in both my graphtec and roland - start out with 30 percent less pressure and much less blade if you try one they are much sharper than the cheap aftermarket ones. They cut like the original graphtec steel blades but last even longer. mention the forum and get 10 percent off. PS I have had several graphtecs never had to set the offset to anything but zero . . . . .

If you see some gouges/nicks in the cutting strip, it has been said you can put a piece of reflective vinyl over it, to make it work. Or replace the cutting strip.

HELLO! I know this is an old discussion but if anyone is still follwing, i wrote an article about those issues. It's in italian but you can switch language with the menu on the left side. Hope it can still help.
here the article

8 hours ago, SteveJobby said:

HELLO! I know this is an old discussion but if anyone is still follwing, i wrote an article about those issues. It's in italian but you can switch language with the menu on the left side. Hope it can still help.
here the article

Can’t wait to get back to Italy someday