mars

Node editing is different in SCAL3Pro

I was having trouble trying to use the node editing tool (Shape tool on the toolbar) until I realized that part of the node editing job is done using the bezier draw tool (Draw tool on the toolbar)

1. Moving nodes is done in the Shape tool. Just select and drag them to the new location.

2. Changing the type of node is done in the Shape tool - use the right click while hovering over the node - or select the node and then use the right click to open the menu - under Path is the choices to convert the node to 4 types Corner, Cusp, Smooth and Symmetric. A little quirky - but once you know you can work with it.

3. Adding nodes to the path is done with the Draw tool - bezier pen icon. Hover over the path and the cursor shows a + sign you can add a node by left click/release while holding the mouse steady. Go back to Shape tool to move the new node around.

4. Deleting nodes is done in the Draw tool too - hover over a node and the cursor shows a - sign a left click will delete the node.

I had watched the tutorials and was trying to add dodes using the shape tool and gettng frustrated because I didn't see any + or - signs - so thought I would post this in case somebody else was missing the point of using 2 different tools to get the job done.

Also if you mess up - use the Ctrl-z combo repeatedly to undo the mistake step by step and try it again.

-Mike

• Like 6

Thanks for posting this! I am sure it will be very helpful! And bravo for figuring it out!

Might be something new in 3.039??? I noticed node editing was a little different in 3.039 but have not had a chance to really dig into it.

I think it is the way they have been doing node editing in SCAL all along - it was in the tutorial videos for earlier versions - I just missed that it took 2 different tools to do the job - even though that is what they were showing in the video LOL.

-Mike

Thank you- for this information. I was becoming very frustrated with trying to do any node editing!

Can you post a link to the tutorials?

Thank you- for this information. I was becoming very frustrated with trying to do any node editing! Can you post a link to the tutorials?

http://www.craftedge.com/tutorials/tutorials.php#7

Look for the Tools Panel video - node editing and node adding are covered close to the middle of this 17 minute video.

The video is for version 2 - but applies to version 3.0 Pro too.

-Mike

• Like 1

I'm glad it works for you. I've tried everything, including how they show in the tutorial. Thinking about trashing it and spending some real money.

How much different is this program than Inkscape? Ive learned a lot about Inkscape but it wont load many files so im looking for something close to inkscape so I dont have to relearn everything.

Sure Cuts is very limited in the file types it will open. They say .svg and .eps but many report that it is very fussy about which .eps files it will open.

I know at least a few people that have had issues with several eps files in SCALP. Look on the big auction for an older version of Corel or Illistrator and I think you'll be happier in the end. SCALP does a respectable job cutting but is not as strong in other areas like importing various files. FYI I used Corel 12 until a couple months ago and it does everything I need it to do, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles of newer versions.

You need download Ghostscript and adjust some setting in you computer.  

I was having the same problem trying to open those file type.  I found a post during a google search about loading Ghostscript and adding some varibles in the windows registry.  

Now it opens up everything.

I'll see if I can find the post later.

I know at least a few people that have had issues with several eps files in SCALP. Look on the big auction for an older version of Corel or Illistrator and I think you'll be happier in the end. SCALP does a respectable job cutting but is not as strong in other areas like importing various files. FYI I used Corel 12 until a couple months ago and it does everything I need it to do, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles of newer versions.

I just dont care for scalp it has a couple good features but i have had it freeze on me a few times even after reinstalling it.

I prefer signblazer and flexi. I belive even if they had to charge a little more if they offered flexi starter or like signwarehouse arebranded flexi with the cutters with up grades options

2 things I love about scalp: trace feature and cut quality. Other than that not so much. I bought Signblazer way back when Jerry was still alive and it's not a bad program just getting dated. I bought Flexi starter recently to run 1 of my cutters and it got me interested enough to look into purchasing the higher levels to use for design. Most programs have at least 1 strong point but the trick is to find the one with the most strong points where you need them.

I just dont care for scalp it has a couple good features but i have had it freeze on me a few times even after reinstalling it. I prefer signblazer and flexi. I belive even if they had to charge a little more if they offered flexi starter or like signwarehouse arebranded flexi with the cutters with up grades options

I agree,  Flexistarter was included with my Seiki vinyl cutter.  And it was just over a $300 vinyl cutter. purchased new.

When I bought my first cutter (MASTER) it came with SignGoLite and it was a decent program compared to some of the more recent stuff I've tested. I think it really comes down to trying to find a product you can bundle without having to raise you're prices considerably. I give USCUTTER credit they are trying different things to see what is the best option.

Sounds like the right combo of programs will be the best option. I dont see 1 program thats great at it all. Ill look into the ghostscripts cause im getting really good with inkscape and would hate to change now.