Sign in to follow this  
JPVinylDesign

Question from a noobie

I have a customer who is looking to have some vinyl cut for an image she wants. I do not have the extra cash to purchase the camo in green and pink. I was wondering if I could overlay the camo to make one sheet and then cut the 3 colored layers to make the image. I have never cut more then one layer of vinyl I am guessing that the blade depth would have to be set deeper but I am not sure. She wants the vinyl done and I can not afford the camo vinyl at the moment anyways. Has anyone ever done this before?

Why would you want to lay them first? Just cut each color and layer them when your done. Ive never heard of cutting more then one layer of vinyl. I cant think of a reason to do so.

• Like 1

Because of the fact that I have to layer the camo to get the camo pattern. then the camo pattern needs to be cut into the actual design the customer wants. I do not have the actual camo vinyl to work with otherwise it would be one cut. I do not have camo patterned vinyl. But i do have a vector for the camo pattern which i need to do first. Unless you can tell me a way to use the vector and overlay in corel the image the customer wants and then cut that. I dont know. Just thought it would be easier for me to lay the camo pattern and then make the actual cut.

I think I understand.

I think it might be more helpful to know what you want to cut out of the camo. Is it something with a lot of surface area or some small text.

What I would do is cut the base color, probably green or could be the pink in the pattern design you want. Then use your pattern and cut out the other color. Or just make a whole bunch of random shapes to look like camo. Then layer the two colors. If its something big, it would be a lot easier.

I can probably do it for you if you give me the designs you have. I dont use corel but I can give you an .EPS file when Im done. I have an idea of how to do it, dont know if I can explain it.

half up front is a good idea. And would work. I will try that and see how that goes. I usually dont like to do that though but in some situations may be a good idea.

Anyways, is it possible to cut more then one layer of vinyl. I know its not a traditional move but has anyone tried cutting more then one layer at once. Might not be a good reason to but now im curious and dont wanna play and waste some vinyl. Ran outta scraps.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont know how it would work? Would you cut only one layer to expose the bottom layer? Or would you want to cut through all the layers for some reason? I still cant think of a reason to do that. If you want to do multiple layers just cut one at a time and layer them after. Its really easy.

In short I dont think its possible.

Remember though, you need to spend money to make money. Its not going to just fall in your lap.

Won't you have to use app tape to stack the three colored layers? That means you would also have to try and cut through that as well. I don't think its a feasable way to do it. I am not familar with Corel but the design could be built in AI easily enough. If you have the camo vector can't you layer the final design over the top and trim the excess to give you the three color layers that you're looking for? With the camo design you might want to think about overlap of the colors. The lower layer(s) might need some modification so you can get a little overlap and not end up with gaps. It would depend on your existing vector camo design.

Won't you have to use app tape to stack the three colored layers? That means you would also have to try and cut through that as well. I don't think its a feasable way to do it. I am not familar with Corel but the design could be built in AI easily enough. If you have the camo vector can't you layer the final design over the top and trim the excess to give you the three color layers that you're looking for? With the camo design you might want to think about overlap of the colors. The lower layer(s) might need some modification so you can get a little overlap and not end up with gaps. It would depend on your existing vector camo design.

I would be able to do that however I do not know how to use corel to do this. This is the problem. I though about placing the graphic over the camo vector file that I have but just sure how to do it correctly to be able to remove the rest of the vector. Still earning corel.

Does anyone know how to do this kinda of thing might be helpful later on.

I dont know how to do it in corel but I can probably do it in inkscape. If you want to download inkscape. Its free. I can walk you though it. Ive never done it but I think im pretty proficient at inkscape these days.

I already have Inkscape. Kinda switch between the 2 depending on what I am doing. I think personally Inkscape vectorize better then Corel for some things. Plus editing nodes seems to be easier in ink.

That would be great if you could do that for me. Will greatly appreciated.

Ill need the camo vector you have. Hopefully you have it in .SVG format so I can open it in inkscape. Ill mess with it today. I have a few decals to cut once I wake up. This coffee isnt working...

Sorry just got home from work. I will send you the .svg file here in a min. Sorry I couldn't send it earlier.

I send you a PM with the attached file. Its woodland Camo. And I had to convert it to .SVG for you. So you should be able to use it.

There we go. I think that worked. But anyways. Its also in your inbox.

that file didn't work for me.

I get this:

[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment.