mars

Wishlist for SCAL3Pro features you would like to see added.

Any news or updates for SCAL3Pro lately?

I have given up on using it as a design program for the time being and will just use it to cut.

Oh, please please please add .eps file support.

-Scott

Haven't heard any news or updates lately either. And haven't been able to work with it at all since my shop computer blew up last week.

Shop computer is fixed (hopefully) but Scalp still broken. EPS support!!!!! And get rid of the lousy licensing scheme...

Here is a copy of an email I sent to support a few days ago on some issues I seem to be having. As of yet no response.

I want to let you know I am liking the pro version of SCAL a lot. Today I did my first Print and Cut of some decals on printable vinyl. I do have a minor issue I hope you can address in your next update.

In trying to calibrate the laser on my SC Cutter from US Cutters for Print and Cut, I have figured what the correct values should be to enter them directly into the calibration window. The problem is I can not enter an negative number in the window. With the defaults being X = 0 and Y = 0, I need to enter an negative number in the Y co-ordinate and it will not let me do so. The same happens for the X co-ordinate. My cuts are about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch off and not being able to enter a negative number keeps me from correcting the issue. (Note: This issue has since been resolved through trial and error from the calibrations window)

I also sent you an email last week with an attachment of the screen captures of the errors I have been receiving with the plugins for Corel Draw, Illustrator, Inkscape and the errors I am receiving trying to print my project to PDF in Acrobat 10. Did you receive the email and attachments.

Above are the two main issues, but an enhancement to the program I think that would also be helpful is the ability to put registration marks between cut layers on the cutting mat that can be seen across different layers, similar to Sign Cut Pro. The ability to turn on and off these registration marks makes design much easier. This would greatly help when trying to line up layers of different colors, such as a multi color vinyl decal.

I know you have had this request submitted by others, but the ability to import EPS files is greatly needed. Most of us have large graphic libraries in the EPS format and converting to SVG would not be prudent but a waste of time.

*** [Note 12/14/2012 - EPS support has been added on version SCALPro 3.042. There is no direct import function on the import menu, but you can drag and drop an EPS file into SCALP from windows explorer. It is slowly getting there.] ***

[Note: One thing I forgot to add is the weeding window needs to be redesigned. Either a larger view of the work needs to be available or placing of the weeding lines could be done on the cutting mat without a pop up window. Placement of the weeding functions on the tools bar to me seem more appropriate or the the pop up window needs to be larger to be see the work and the weeding lines, again similar to Sign Cut.]

Thank you for your time and continued good work on a promising piece of software.

Mike

It sure would be nice if the node editing lines looked like they did when you move the objects around, THIN. I do a lot of small detail work that I just can't do with SCAL3Pro. I do all my cutting, designing & editing in SB elements. I'll keep downloading each new version just to check it out, but I won't do much else until things get better with those horrid thick lines. Until then everything I'm working on is in SB elements. My fingers are crossed for the update that fixes those node editing lines though... :)

Half my eps files still wont open. Not even with drag and drop. Not a single one from the clipart cd that came with my cutter and SCALP.

Dang Monkey that stinks.  I have only tried a couple of .eps files in SCALP and only one did not open.  I'm doing most of my work again in Sign Blazer Elements.  SCALP is rarely getting used by me anymore. 

For text only things SCALP is cutting cleaner than SBE.

-Scott

Everything I have cuts cleaner in SCALP then sign blazer for me. Least what will open. Its having trouble with some JPG's too in trace

I've got a whole library of EPS files that wont open in SCALpro3. It will open anything I export from Sign Blazer though, but why should import & then export it from one program just to use it in another. I do agree what I have cut with SCALpro seems to have cleaner cut lines. Lets' see what they do in the new year with the updates to come... I'm curious to see. :)

The more I use SCALPro , the more I like it !!! Also the more I want it to have toolbars like SignBlazer on the top & bottom in order to use the full window for designing ... that would eliminate the need to zoom a BUNCH . Also having more of a selection with the right mouse button would help alot . Evolving from a crafts software into a full featured vinyl cutting software is going very good IMO . I also know it is a bargain as it is . The development Edge Craft is doing is appreciated by me :thumbsup: . Also , USC cutter offers it for $99 shipped in their e-bay auctions . I would have been happy paying $200 just for the cutting ability , being able to add weed lines anywhere . A MAJOR home run feature !!!

I've been doing a lot more "editing" in SCAL. I love - the tracing feature as it seems much better to me than the other programs I've used. It could be more user friendly and that I'm just that inexperienced at it... but I love it.

I tend to go to "cut w/ my us cutter" to view the preview in between editing so I can see what I am doing better. I like this better than preview. Anyway- I adjust the screen size every time by making the viewing box larger and zooming in on the image. I'd like to see this preview image "remember" how you'd adjusted the screen size the last time- so every time you open that up - it comes up the same way you adjusted it the last time?

I'd also like to see on the editing mat - if you could select a grid line and it would highlight that row in a color - so you could see that everything is lining up perfectly without scrolling the mouse along the whole thing. What I'm suggesting is something like excel does- if you put your curser on a row - it highlights that row. I find myself moving things around to make sure they are lined up equally on both sides and it would be easier if the row were to highlight somehow.

Just my 2 cents...

Tammy

To start off with a "wish". How about getting rid of the timeout on the trial version. What a waste and it makes the software totally unusable for me. Th no cutting is all that the triel version needs, not a 30 day limit!

So, no more suggestions, no more trying to get it all to work. I can't use it because I can't run the software on my 4 computers. Was great while the trial let me design on the laptop and desktop. But I don't do that on the cutting computer.... Shame too as they seemed to be taking care of most of the problems. Thank goodness Signblazer still works just fine!

I have a new wish list idea. I would like to be able to click and drag or a simpler way to adjust the cutting mat size rather than having to go through the cutter>mat size>custom process. This isn't a critical thing but it would save time when working with scrap pieces of vinyl.

To start off with a "wish". How about getting rid of the timeout on the trial version. What a waste and it makes the software totally unusable for me. Th no cutting is all that the triel version needs, not a 30 day limit!

So, no more suggestions, no more trying to get it all to work. I can't use it because I can't run the software on my 4 computers. Was great while the trial let me design on the laptop and desktop. But I don't do that on the cutting computer.... Shame too as they seemed to be taking care of most of the problems. Thank goodness Signblazer still works just fine!

Hey Bear , I still use SB Elements for it's features . Hoping that SCALPro eventually gets fully featured & equals or surpasses the Elements version of SB . It is worth buying SCALPro just for the weeding options IMO , especially when a special sale is going on . Wait for it to go on sale again ( $50 + $9 shipping ) or buy it for $99 shipped thru the e-bay auction of USC .

Rodger,  I did buy scalp unfortunately. I just can't use it. It's absolutely worthless to me without being able to run it on at least four computers. And i won't even get into their ridiculous activation routine.. With the frequency of my shop computer blowing up, it's just not worth the hassle.I have to be able to edit on any of my computers and only use the shop computer for the cutting. Scalp won't let me do that. And did they ever truly fix the eps file problems? I'd rather sit here trying to reply with my tablet (not fun at all) then fart around with scalp....

I am not a computer person AT ALL & I thought the activation/deactivation/reactivate was e-z . My home pc was blown up & I tried it on my laptop . When i got the pc fixed , e-z to switch it over . If only cutting on the shop pc , seems the weedline options would make it well worth while using .

A few things I would like to see added are some of the features that signblazer has.

Like being able to add a border weeding box around each design that is laid out automatically. I cut 10 to 20 designs at a time and it becomes a chore to add a weed box to each one. I know I can select a bunch at a time and add one big weed border. But when I am chopping on my paper cutter it makes it easier to not to chop into a design if each one has it's own border.

And also to be able to align designs to each other not just the edges of the work space.

Icons on the weeding buttons themselves would make it a lot easier to know what option you’re using when selecting the different weeding options... It took me a while to figure out what the 8 blank buttons were above the preview window & below the border offset. A larger preview window would help tremendously also... Also noticed you have to choose a line color before opening the weeding options or you almost see nothing when placing the weeding lines until you finish & apply the lines to your project....

An automatic window before the final cut that asks.........Would you like to mirror your image before cutting ?  

• Like 1

An automatic window before the final cut that asks.........Would you like to mirror your image before cutting ?  

Ha ha! I have been there too. About the time you pull the heat press vinyl back out of the machine you realize your mistake. I am happy with Scalp having an easily accessable button to flip the image right on the standard workspace. It's visable enuogh that it often reminds me and I have not had a screw up yet.

• Like 1

What I would like, and it may already be there and I just haven't found it, is a way to color in the wedded or unweeded areas to get a better preview. I use some color imaged that have three or four colors, then do a single color stencil for my etching. At times I would like to see how a single color looks versus the shaded images.

You can always draw a big square etc the size of your workspace in whatever color you choose . There is an option to change the fill color & the actual cut line color . I think they have done a decent job so far with some VERY nice features/options . Many features I would like to see added , but I realize it is just starting out as a vinyl cutting software instead of a crafts type software . I expected development to have a steeper advancment curve based upon how Edge Craft  was doing when SCALPro was 1rst released , Being realistic as I try to do , maybe the price they are selling it for ( especially as a " packaged " software " does not allow for that . There are rumors that Color Chrome First was getting $6 a copy for " packaged " SignBlazer ) . There is a reason Flexi Pro sells for $4K + . The intention might to be just a basic software for beginners/hobby types ... the intention might to become bigger & better than any other software .. but i suspect the 1rst intention is more realistic .

I'm curious. Has anyone ever pointed Craft Edge to this forum or this thread in particular. 

It would be nice to see a presence here since we are essentially their beta testers.

So there is another one for the wish list, Craft Edge listening to our ideas  :thumbsup:

I wish when you wanted to highlight an object/text that it didn't have to be so specific to get it to highlight.  I would think you should be able to highlight it ''anywhere within the grouped selection''.

Also would be nice to have the property box (position_size / appearance / text) to be "fully readable" as one box.  As it is now, you can only have two complete boxes read fully and you have to toggle back and forth.  

When you have the ''keep proportions'' button highlighted, you should be able to manually drag the expand corner button and have it stay proportioned.