motoxchic

Letters like "O" are showing a fill color in SCP

Any ideas? (ETA: it cuts the parts that need to be knocked out FIRST. I think I can work around it on this project, but would like to know why its doing that.)

Here is my Illustrator file, started with 2 vector text pieces and selected "Merge" on the Pathfinder pallette.

aisalon.jpg

This is what SCP is giving me

scpsalon.jpg

Looks like it cut the all the node paths ?? If you are using 1 color , I would add a thin outline ( I might be missing the point :) ) . I can see the cut inside the O ... I don't see the vinyl cut in the bottom part of the S or a though .

Here is the wire frame view. Looks like it will make the cuts (and I sent it to draw on paper and it did also). Its just weird why it wont knock out the centers. Oh, and it is 2 color :)

Capture-1.jpg

When you use "merge" Illustrator creates a separate object in the open holes. Usually they are transparent/no fill, so SC is interpreting them as black for some reason. I usually go into the layer stack and check for objects with no fill color and delete them before I send them to SC. If you select them from the layers panel you can see where they are and you will know if you wanted them there or not. I found for me in SC that it would basically double cut all these spots and often pull up some of the vinyl in the process. You will find these two holes at the very bottom of the stack in the layers panel which is how SC interprets what to cut first. If you try it with the top object a different color like grey or something its a little easier to find the problem objects.

Thank you! I found them :) So is there a different Pathfinder pallet option to use, or just find the objects and delete them after merge?

Merge is pretty handy for certain applications like what you are doing here. I use "Unite" whenever I can and it doesn't cause the same problem I don't believe that any of the exclude options do either but I can't remember right off. Seems like "Merge" is the main culprit but there are some actions that only merge can complete. Once you are aware of the problem its not too big of a deal. I have found a lot of pre-built vectors come in with a lot of empty objects also I assume they are a product of the designers save options or program. It's nice to be able to pick them apart. You may also note that you can order your cuts by stacking them in the order you want and SignCut will follow the stack, usually from bottom to top which can be nice on jobs with a lot of small elements so you don't have to have your cutter jumping all over the vinyl. (Assuming you didn't already draw them in order or if they got re-ordered during the build process)