acandlestory

Help with my SC cutter and SCALP

I recently go my SC cutter, and upon set up and install of SCALP I tried cutting a few of the sample files to get it all set up. I have now tried 5 files, ranging from text to my logo with no luck of having the cutter finish the cut. The cutter will stop about 3/4 through the cut, and just say "Now is cutting" on the LCD as well as usually have the blue bar 3/4 of the way full. I am using a Mac, and I do not have a serial port on the computer, so trying that is out of the question. I saw on here that I could try to ground the cutter, although since it did the same thing with the pen tool I dont thing that is the problem. Becuase this is not being done for a business for me (its actually to cut stencils to etch my logo on my candles which is a side business from my full time job) I do not really have a lot of time to dedicate to this. Any help/suggestions are appreciated, and I thank anyone who responds in advance.

Have you downloaded and installed the latest version of the program from CraftEdge? (at least v. 3.037)

I believe that requires you UNINSTALL the program that you were given by USCUTTER, and then add the new one.

A few people have indicated here on the forums that the application as installed from the provided USCUTTER disk is somewhat problematic, but they have had better luck with those upgraded CraftEdge tweaks.

You may obtain the latest SCAL download by providing your serial number on the CraftEdge download page,

http://www.craftedge...port/lostsw.php

or contacting CraftEdge Support directly --

http://www.craftedge...pport_form.html

Let us know how that works out for you, as others using the same program on a mac will benefit from your feedback.

I appreciate that, I have version 3.036, which I downloaded from CraftEdge last night. What you are saying is that I should uninstall the program and then reinstall with the installer I get from craft edge?

I will update this thread with any and all fixes that I find work or improve my functionality.

before you uninstall the old version, be sure and deactivate it if you have already activated it.

• Like 1

Ok, so I am "cutting" with the pen tool, and the cutter stops at different points each time. I reinstalled as listed above, and still the same problem. I thought that the program was just freezing up, since the blue bar was not moving, but when I switch off the cutter after it has frozen the bar completes and it says that the cut has been cancelled. I though it could be the cut size but the file is only 108kb. Any other suggestions for this issue? Also, I read that I should have the cutter grounded to the stand, how exactly would I do that?

You simply use a piece of wire and run it from one of the cutter's bottom screws to a screw point on the stand. You can even use a self-tapping screw into the stand.

What communication type are you using? It could be serial settings or a USB cable issue...

Well, I called Tech Support and Joe helped me out. He cut the file I wanted to and it worked as it was supposed to. Apparently I have a gremlin in the system that suddenly left. One thing that did happen was that it was cutting the entire path more than once. There was a slight offset to the second pass which had I been cutting vinyl would have ruined the piece I was working on. Any suggestions on this?

You simply use a piece of wire and run it from one of the cutter's bottom screws to a screw point on the stand. You can even use a self-tapping screw into the stand.

What communication type are you using? It could be serial settings or a USB cable issue...

Unfortunately I am on a laptop which does not have a serial connection, so that is a no go. :(

Make sure when you go to your cut-screen that "Multicut" is set to OFF, and not 2 times or that you do not have a second set of lines in your artwork.

Maybe post the file you're cutting?

• Like 1

When I ordered the cutter it stated that no keyspan adapter was needed. Hmm. Would this change how it is communicating with the cutter? Also, would this have any effect on the fact that it is cutting everything twice? I apologize for all the questions, just very new to this.

Edited by acandlestory

As it turns out the PC was also sans serial port, so I am back to square one. Looks like I will have to try the keyspan adapter. Now am I looking for the keyspan adapter specifically, or will a USB to serial connector do the same job?

Make sure when you go to your cut-screen that "Multicut" is set to OFF, and not 2 times or that you do not have a second set of lines in your artwork.

Maybe post the file you're cutting?

I will post the file when I get home, I am currently at work. Sorry I didnt respond sooner, I missed the post.

I downloaded the latest Mac software, which is 3.036

It was just mentioned in another thread elsewhere on the Forums that CraftEdge has relaeased 3.038 for macs.

Just email their support team and they'll provide the details of how to obtain that.

• Like 1

I just ordered a Keyspan adapter, lets see if this solves the problem. I looked on SCALP and I did not see the area where it would show to cut more than once. I thank you all in advance as you have been quite helpful thus far.

Well, I should tell you all that the Keyspan adapter fixed the issues I was having with the double cut and the not finishing. I cut an 18 X 24 jack daniels graphic almost flawlessly, save for a few fine details that caused the cutter to weed some parts for me... Other than that I'm off and running, now I just need to perfect my transfer tape skill.

Well, I should tell you all that the Keyspan adapter fixed the issues I was having with the double cut and the not finishing. I cut an 18 X 24 jack daniels graphic almost flawlessly, save for a few fine details that caused the cutter to weed some parts for me... Other than that I'm off and running, now I just need to perfect my transfer tape skill.

Great.. glad it helped you.. ;D

• Like 1