jaybyrd

no issues

I felt the need to say at least 1 positive thing for scalp since I read some much bad. I run a 24" laserpoint which I've had for nearly 3 years and ordered scalp to get away from sign cut and the licensing fees. Within 10 minutes of unpacking the cd, I had downloaded the most current version and was making cuts from .svg files with no issues at all. Cuts were waaaaaay cleaner than signcut with less issues than signcut (I recently upgraded versions of signcut and now it does random weird things on the cut screen). As a note I did NOT buy this to design in but tried it anyway the typical manly way by pushing different buttons to see what happened, instructions be damned. I was able to do some basic stuff without too much frustration but after us CorelDraw 12 and Signblazer I didn't see it being in the same league at all. So for $60 shipped it will pay for itself in 4 months of not paying for signcut but as for design I would recommend you look at other options.

Jay

• Like 3

Thank you for the positive update. I will also post my experience as soon as I have some free time this weekend to install it.

One thing worth mentioning is that since you need to download updated copy, there's not much point in installing from disk.

Unfortunately I do not think that the USCutter website has the back-end to auto-deliver a download link an functional serial registration to your email.

Plus if the email were to be incorrectly sent, the registration could be inadvertantly delivered to another party. Postal service with delivery confirmation is much safer and more reliable CD or not.

I too have not had any problems with SCAL pro. I use Corel X4 for my design then sent that to SCAL via the plugin. Then cut it with my MH 721 and everything has been working fine. I also have to agree with Jaybird the cuts are a lot cleaner than with SignCut. One change I would like to see is in the cut screen. When cutting by color when you click on the color to cut the preview would show just that color similar to SignCut.

After using for a couple days I have 2 issues that bug me, not being able to rotate on cut screen and when finished cutting it basically rewinds back to origin. Needs to be able to advance after cut not go backwards.

Jay

I wish it did with my old laserpoint. Advancing to cut off the roll is no problem but having to advance the entire cut because it rewound is kinda annoying.

Jay

After using for a couple days I have 2 issues that bug me, not being able to rotate on cut screen and when finished cutting it basically rewinds back to origin. Needs to be able to advance after cut not go backwards.

Jay

Click on the pen icon (first box on left) and toggle the colors on and off just like SignCut. I would like to see a way to put in alignment marks.

Click on the pen icon (first box on left) and toggle the colors on and off just like SignCut. I would like to see a way to put in alignment marks.

You can do alignment marks by placing a square, then one of the alignment color needed of the same size directly on top.

Getting old is a bummer. Clicking the pen icon works like a charm, Thanks

One of the benefits to SCAL Pro over SignCut is it is made right here in the USofA.... SignCut is developed and supported across a large body of water. I forget where off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Across the ocean, maybe that explains the ripples when I used to cut. All those waves made it into the program. Didn't realize SCAL Pro was made in USA. Should get bonus points for that alone.

Jay

Their main office is located in Sweden

To be clear..he is talking about SignCut.

When Jerry (creator of SignBlazer) was alive, he was a member of this forum, and answered questions when he could. For a long time (not so much anymore) SignCut had an employee answering questions here. It would be GREAT if SCAL had someone on here. That's a HINT if anyone is out there.

• Like 1

Not long after I started this venture, I actually purchased sbe. Not long after I had a computer meltdown and Jerry had passed, so no license tranfers. I have it again with the patches and use it for certain things (still does some things better Than my Corel 12).

Jay

I too have not had any problems with SCAL pro. I use Corel X4 for my design then sent that to SCAL via the plugin. Then cut it with my MH 721 and everything has been working fine. I also have to agree with Jaybird the cuts are a lot cleaner than with SignCut. One change I would like to see is in the cut screen. When cutting by color when you click on the color to cut the preview would show just that color similar to SignCut.

Sorry for the newbie question but where did you find the corel plug in and how did you install it?

Thanking you in advance.

Just a quick note here version 3.039 is out now. I wish there was a change log for us to view. It would be nice to know what changes have been made on each of the updates.

:rolleyes:

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Now that 3.039 is out and they updated the driver this program is working VERY smoothly! No issues. I haven't delved into node editing or anything advanced but for importing, cutting, grouping, etc... it's slick, easy, and does the job. I'm a happy camper for $50 now that my issues are worked out! And I don't have to jump around from mac to PC!

• Like 1

I found the program fairly easy to learn to use. Least for making a design and cutting it. Except after I send a cut, I have to reboot cutter and SCAL to be able to send another. If I dont it says sent to cutter but nothing else happens. Other then that Im very please with the program.

I found the program fairly easy to learn to use. Least for making a design and cutting it. Except after I send a cut, I have to reboot cutter and SCAL to be able to send another. If I dont it says sent to cutter but nothing else happens. Other then that Im very please with the program.

have you tried JUST unplugging the cutter (the power not the USB) to clear the memory before you try and send another cut?

have you tried JUST unplugging the cutter (the power not the USB) to clear the memory before you try and send another cut?

Yeah after checking on here when it first happened, I saw that so tried that and nothing. Had to restart SCALP befoe it woud actually cut again

This has got to be the best trace function I have seen anywhere. Tried the same jpg in SCALP, Corel 12 and SBE

#1 SCALP spot on didn't even need to alter the initial settings

#2 Corel 12 locked up the program and had to force close Corel due to the amount of detail

#3 SBE did a reasonable job but not as nice as SCALP and when imported into Corel it showed several open paths that had to be closed

I can't stand to design in SCALP (makes my head hurt thinking about it) but trace and cut functions are unbelievable.

Jay