fuz

Vinyl won't come off transfer tape

I am using clear choice transfer tape with EnduraGLOSS vinyl. I have never had a problem before until now. Nothing has changed.

When I am ready to put the decal on a surface, it will NOT come off the tape. I use a credit card and smooth everything out like I normally would and pull back the tape in all directions but it just stays on the tape.

Does room temperature have anything to do with this?

I have sales and I need to get this resolved.

Decal is approximately 5" x 5".

Temperature is a factor, yes.

Also, what is the surface like? Make sure it's clean (use isopropyl alcohol).

• Like 2

use paper tape -- then if you have trouble you can spray it and wait a minute for it to release. What surface are you applying to - did you clean it good before applying? is it a new roll of either?

Surface temp makes a diference. Cleaning the surface is important too as said above.

You say nothing has changed - have you used THIS PARTICULAR roll of vinyl before?

Have you applied to the THIS PARTICULAR substrate material before?

Do you have a vinyl applicator squeegee - probably will get better pressure than a credit card - and may make the difference in getting the adhesive to grab. It is called "pressure sensitive adhesive" for a reason.

You may need to get a lower tac transfer tape to make the job easier. Paper tape can be sprayed to aid in release.

In the meantime - I have had some jobs that I had to work to get the tape away from the vinyl after application.

First - get a vinyl squeegee. and squeegee the graphic down very well -

Here is a 3M video - for the proper technique - to get you started with good technique. I know I see guys doing the "incorrect" techniques and getting good results - I did it myself - so it may bea matter of learning the "touch" needed rather than the correct position and movement of the squeegee - but 3M has been doing this longer than I have so I accept their advice.

http://youtu.be/2VR8vO1doMQ

I have had to "roll" the app tape off of the vinyl - press on the point where the tape is coming off the vinyl and pull the app tape flat against the surface with your other hand - doing a press and drag on the vinyl with your fingers to keep it in contact with the substate while dragging the tape off in the opposit direction. It is a pain in the a$$ -- lower tac tape is a better solution.

Good Luck

-Mike

Surface temp makes a diference. Cleaning the surface is important too as said above.

You say nothing has changed - have you used THIS PARTICULAR roll of vinyl before?

Have you applied to the THIS PARTICULAR substrate material before?

Do you have a vinyl applicator squeegee - probably will get better pressure than a credit card - and may make the difference in getting the adhesive to grab. It is called "pressure sensitive adhesive" for a reason.

You may need to get a lower tac transfer tape to make the job easier. Paper tape can be sprayed to aid in release.

In the meantime - I have had some jobs that I had to work to get the tape away from the vinyl after application.

First - get a vinyl squeegee. and squeegee the graphic down very well -

Here is a 3M video - for the proper technique - to get you started with good technique. I know I see guys doing the "incorrect" techniques and getting good results - I did it myself - so it may bea matter of learning the "touch" needed rather than the correct position and movement of the squeegee - but 3M has been doing this longer than I have so I accept their advice.

http://youtu.be/2VR8vO1doMQ

I have had to "roll" the app tape off of the vinyl - press on the point where the tape is coming off the vinyl and pull the app tape flat against the surface with your other hand - doing a press and drag on the vinyl with your fingers to keep it in contact with the substate while dragging the tape off in the opposit direction. It is a pain in the a$$ -- lower tac tape is a better solution.

Good Luck

-Mike

man that woman has a hairy arm

This is a new roll of transfer tape. It's been really cold here recently so the temperature in the house is warmer because we cranked up the heat. I did put the transfer tape in my basement where it's not as warm and I will see if that made a difference after work today.

It isn't the vinyl (I don't think) because I used an old piece of tape I constantly reuse and it worked perfect. I have never cleaned the vinyl prior to putting the tape on it.

what is the surface/substrate you tried applying your decal to? if the surface/substrate is textured, that could also be the problem

what is the surface/substrate you tried applying your decal to? if the surface/substrate is textured, that could also be the problem

Wood veneer and cardboard. Like I said, nothing has changed but temperature and a new roll of tape. I have put decals on this location about 20 times.

There are two types of Clear Choice, high tack and medium tack, is it possible the tape you are now using is the high tack?

I've come to the conclusion it's the tape. I have used this same vinyl with my old roll of tape which is now gone and it just worked perfect. Tried again with new roll and still messing up. Can you recommend tape for enduragloss vinyl?

It's medium tack but not working, don't know why.

Enduragloss vinyl is General Formulations vinyl. which also goes by names Shinerite, EMC500, and many other names. It is the house brand of many sign supply companies. I use Main medium tack paper tape with it and Rtape At60 clear choice, medium tack, with no problems. But I rarely use clear tape. Paper tape is my tape of choice.

Thanks for all the comments.

I just don't understand why it's not working when the tape is the same as the first roll I used.

What makes this worse, I have outstanding orders. I'm going to run to the art supply store tomorrow and buy 2 sheets and see if that one works.

If your going to run a business, you will need different sizes, and back ups of supplies. I think If you would try paper tape you would like it better. And paper tape conforms better. Can be rolled up etc. I can roll up 12-16ft decals with no problems for shipping. Try and do that with a clear tape.

If your going to run a business, you will need different sizes, and back ups of supplies. I think If you would try paper tape you would like it better. And paper tape conforms better. Can be rolled up etc. I can roll up 12-16ft decals with no problems for shipping. Try and do that with a clear tape.

Do you have a particular brand you like?

Interesting but seems like people are having the opposite problem. My vinyl comes off the backing fine onto the tape. I just can't get the vinyl off the tape onto a surface.

I ended up buying some transfer paper tape at a B&M store. Saved my butt and it works so that proves my tape is defective!

My problem is that all of my project transferred except for one letter! And no matter what I did I could not get that letter off! I finally just pulled it off the glass and thought that I could pull it off the tape then manually apply it to the glass. I still could not get it off. 

things to consider - age and type of app tape, age and type of vinyl, surface you're applying it to, cleanliness of surface, temperature of the surface, wet or dry application ...

typically when the vinyl sticks to the tape, for me, it usually means it's time to change the app tape (at best), changing both the app tape and vinyl (at worst).

Old post but since it's come back to life I tend to think one or two things going on. How long has the graphic been taped and prepped could cause this. Old designs can be seriously stuck to the app tape. Improper prep maybe a finger print right there causing the vinyl to not adhere well. Or older vinyl or multiple layered that was pulled off the backing and transferred to a second layer that may have caught a little grime or something. Had that happen myself. 

Personally I have been going to higher tack rather than less just because I hate nothing more than being on a ladder or in a wind storm and having the vinyl stay stuck on the carrier. Always seems to be those long jobs when no one is around to help you too. I also have slowed down on my sign vinyl to the point that my app tape sets too long on the roll and dries out so the higher tack ends up being viable longer for me. Sometimes I have to burn a couple wraps on the roll to get rid of some and find fresh paper. 

This is just one mans opinion. Your results may vary. 

Shoot, I am concerned by this bit about aged decals being hard to separate/apply. I've got a customer with a truck that was due to have the side lettered back in March, and then his truck broke down and was in the repair shop for months, and now it's out and he wants the company name affixed. I hope those old app-taped RTA's don't give me fits.

Arrrrggghhhh....  it's always SOMEthing.